Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Hi everyone,
    we're still priming and sanding the body, and going over the various modifications with a fine comb to ensure we've covered it all.
    And whilst doing that, we noticed this little bracket in the engine bay on the real R6 car. No idea what it is, and none of the other M491/RSR cars seems to have it;
    anyone got an idea what it is and why it's there?

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  60.8 KBName:  44.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  65.6 KB

Both pictures are from the Maxted-Page website, where they have a couple of pictures of the restoration process.
    I have mentioned a few times MP overlooked a few details when restoring R6, but they did put the 'R6' crayon marking back on the inside of the ducktail (see 2nd picture), which I think is quite neat!
    I first noticed that on the famous Teloche garage picture, see detail below:

Name:  150448781org.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  129.8 KBName:  150448781.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  108.0 KB
    Last edited by patrick911; 07-05-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Patrick, it could be the bracket to hold pipework for the automatic Heinzmann fire system.

Thanks mate, that's what i initially thought, but I think i have figured it out; it is something else.

After looking for engine bay pictures,only RSR's R2 and R6 seem to have this bracket. We know that R2 and R6 both participated in the Le Mans 24h race, so I figured, maybe this is a bracket to hold a light to make certain things easier at night (oil refills, etc). Then I found this bigger picture that, when blown up, shows it does have a light in it, and with a black surround, it looks like a standard interior light that you press to go on or off. Surely Porsche would, as they always do, just pick something from the existing parts bin.The bracket seems a thin, bended piece of metal, so not too much impact on the scales.
    Anyway, the question now is, when was this light attached to the chassis? Would it have been there in May when R6 ran the Targa Florio?
    Maxted-Page seem to think so, as they left it there during the restoration, but I'm not convinced. I haven't seen engine bay pictures of R6 at the Targa; there's only one, and there the refill guy blocks the view

Name:  IMG_9594.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  105.9 KBName:  IMG_9594 - crop.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  68.0 KB

Something else,
    when searching the web yesterday, I also found another detail picture of the trunk of R6, and I noticed for the first time that it doesn't have the dual Bosch fuelpump setup as all the other RSRs have. It has two bigger pumps, one on each side, just in front of the strut-brace mount. A bit of a search found that these are made by Messerschmitt and NLA.
    I messaged with Tuthill in the UK, who has used them in the past for rallye cars. Strangely enough he did say these are no good for racing as they struggle to maintain pressure on long straights; weird then that Porsche would have replaced a perfectly good solution with this?
    So unless I can find these pumps, I may have to resort to having the 2 Bosch pumps fixed on these locations, to at least do it in the spirit of the original.
    However, if someone does know where to find a Messerschmitt pump....

Name:  IMG_9610.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  126.6 KBName:  Tuthill-Porsche-911-fuel-pump-1.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  67.8 KB
    last picture taken from the Tuthill Porsche webpage

Never mind. A further search showed that this pump was manufactured by Bosch as well (maybe took over Messerschmitt?) with code F026.TX3 006 and was used by Porsche in the 908 and 917 using item number 912.608.101.00.
    There's even a topic here, where someone used this pump in his RSR rep. At least it broadens the chances of finding them...
    Last edited by patrick911; 07-07-2020 at 05:38 PM. Reason: double picture removed + pic credit added. +new info
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Instead of using a dual fuel pump set up mounted next to the smuggler's box that was used on customer RSRs, we uses the same single pump set up as the factory Martini RSR, which was to mount the same pump that was used on 917s and 908s low in the smuggler's box.
    That's the setup I have in my car which was built in the States late '72 early 73. The engine and fuelling were built by Richie Ginther but the parts came directly from the factory under the advice of Helmut Bott.
    Name:  IMG_7637.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  79.9 KB

Perhaps this setup was in use for a period then?
    Too many cars..

Wow, how cool is that!; that’s a pretty special pump.

Just a quick correction to avoid confusion; the quote in niall1’s post above is taken from the other topic i linked; R6 had a battery in the smugglerbox and 2 fuel pumps, which is what we’ll do for our replica too.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Odd to see that Tuthills car has stickers on the latch panel, not sure if I see them on the period pictures.

Cees
    Last edited by fourteenten; 07-09-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: spelling

These pumps were used on MANY more Mercedes of the era. They can be fairly easily found. Make sure you get the petrol version.

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Odd to see that Tuthills car has stickers on the latch panel, not sure if I see them on the period pictures.
    Hi Cees,
    There's unfortunately not a lot of period pictures of the engine bay, but this one was taken at the Targa Florio and shows R6 did have the stickers on the latch panel, so MP got that right:
    Name:  TF-1973 porsche  pit stop.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  124.3 KB

@geneulm, yes, thanks, the Pagoda for example seems to have had these pumps; unfortunately most advertised ask for a core pump to be provided....
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Here are some pictures of R2, on display at the Porsche Museum.
    Using a scientific method (see last picture...), I estimate the width of the Dymo on the rear screen at 19mm and the tape underneath should be 35mm width
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Thanks mate, that's what i initially thought, but I think i have figured it out; it is something else.

After looking for engine bay pictures,only RSR's R2 and R6 seem to have this bracket. We know that R2 and R6 both participated in the Le Mans 24h race, so I figured, maybe this is a bracket to hold a light to make certain things easier at night (oil refills, etc). Then I found this bigger picture that, when blown up, shows it does have a light in it, and with a black surround, it looks like a standard interior light that you press to go on or off. Surely Porsche would, as they always do, just pick something from the existing parts bin.The bracket seems a thin, bended piece of metal, so not too much impact on the scales.
    Anyway, the question now is, when was this light attached to the chassis? Would it have been there in May when R6 ran the Targa Florio?
    Maxted-Page seem to think so, as they left it there during the restoration, but I'm not convinced. I haven't seen engine bay pictures of R6 at the Targa; there's only one, and there the refill guy blocks the view

Name:  IMG_9594.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  105.9 KBName:  IMG_9594 - crop.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  68.0 KB
    I love that - will definitely be making that light mount for my personal car.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436