Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongest capacity hood struts?

Strongest capacity hood struts?

Hi .. does anyone know of a hood strut that has more capacity than the ones in our part number?

My hood has has some composite filler added to it before painting, to aid with gap fit etc, so the hood is much heavier then normal. The standard Stabilus hood struts won't hold it up. I have tried the Stabilus struts for the 959, in that part number, which feature a lockout at the top, which held the hood, but after a few years even those gave out to the weight of my hood and couldn't hold it up anymore. By the way, those 959 hood struts were almost $100 bucks a side. They works great at the start, but didn't last.

Seems like Stabulis is the main producer of these and I just need to find one with the right length, mounting hole size, and weight capacity.

Any Stabilus experts out there?

https://www.stabilus.com/products/locking-gas-springs

Many thanks in advance

I went with the Rennline mechanical struts, no more replacing struts for me.

https://www.rennline.com/rennline-fu...trut-sku-e187/
    Tony

Broom stick works good, and doesn't wear out.

I went Rennline also. They work great.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I found that the Stabilus HD hood shocks worked well on my '70E.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Thanks ! I'm sold on those Rennline struts .. look awesome.

Rennline work great - but need to warn anyone not familiar with your car to be careful closing the hood or decklid. Kinda like the issues 356's had back in the day with mechanics bending the hoods. I love mine, but am worried with anyone opening/closing it as the decklid is aluminum.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Quote Originally Posted by tcave View Post
    Broom stick works good, and doesn't wear out.
    Hahaha!!! I have an alloy telescopic "stick" I use. Has a set screw to bind it and rubber bumpers on each end.

I bought the hood shocks and did not have much luck. I know my hood has a few coats of paint on it. But what puzzled me was the weakness and distortion the hood shocks caused the hinges to deform. So I took them off.

Yep, high tech broom stick works for me.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    Hahaha!!! I have an alloy telescopic "stick" I use. Has a set screw to bind it and rubber bumpers on each end.

I bought the hood shocks and did not have much luck. I know my hood has a few coats of paint on it. But what puzzled me was the weakness and distortion the hood shocks caused the hinges to deform. So I took them off.

Yep, high tech broom stick works for me.
    Regarding distortion of hinges, I'm restoring a 66 911, after paint got the hood to line up perfectly with the cowl, then installed the shocks only to have the hood stand tall (above the cowl) about 3-4 MM. Removed the shocks and the hood goes back to flush. Has anyone else had this issue? The hinges are used but there's virtually no play in the hinge pivots - certainly not 3-4 MM. The hole that accepts the pin to keep the top shock mount captive is worn (elongated slightly) on both hinges but I can't see where that would cause it unless I'm missing something.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I used Rennline only on the drivers side that requires tiny hands to install. Works fine. You have to lift the hood slightly to dis-engage the shock before you can close the hood.