Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Vintage P Dealer Plate Frames.

Nice review Rick.
    Last edited by Jens; 03-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Alpine

Alpine Porsche Audi
    1020 Fountain Creek Blvd
    Colorado Springs, CO

White lettering on light metallic green, flash-chromed, RWB Co #4M

Nice little eye-catcher. Back-round that the lettering stands on has a subtle kinda faceted-type surface . . . really makes the green --- a rare color anyway --- pop

Plate is a '70 Wyoming, always popularly known as --- what else, but? --- The Cowboy State, passenger issue. Features the famous Bucking Horse and Rider (BH&R) image, first seen in '36 --- designed by Allen T True, and an actual registered trademark of the state of Wyoming. 14 = Niobrara County
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-13-2012 at 09:23 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick nice write up on Merlin. Is the lawsuit ongoing for mesothelioma and what was the connection of this to NBC, Fox, etal?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    . . . Is the lawsuit ongoing for mesothelioma and what was the connection of this to NBC, Fox, et al? . . .
    I don't know about the status of the lawsuit --- I'm no attorney, but my guess would be that, unless his family/heirs had standing in the original action, any lawsuit brought by Mr Olsen would've died with him.

Regarding the original respondents, it's evident that Mr Olsen believed he had good cause to take action against the various networks that employed him. From everything that I've read, Mr Olsen was an intelligent, accomplished and formidable individual to deal with, known for being beyond-well-prepared in his business dealings. (Couple people commented that he would've made an excellent attorney.) But. If Mr Olsen thought that NBC/CBS/Fox had anything to do with his illness, then I would believe that he had something to back-up any claim he would make.

Mr Olsen was a hero of mine. I remembered him from his playing days --- a great competitor, good/clean, and totally fierce . . . very few people like that. Then or now. And to see him successfully move on, several times, as an entertainer, commentator, spokes-person, and business man made me admire him even more. I never heard a word about his health and legal issues . . . 'till after he passed.
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-14-2012 at 09:50 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    I don't know about the status of the lawsuit --- I'm no attorney, but my guess would be that, unless his family/heirs had standing in the original action, any lawsuit brought by Mr Olsen would've died with him.

Regarding the original respondents, it's evident that Mr Olsen believed he had good cause to take action against the various networks that employed him. From everything that I've read, Mr Olsen was an intelligent, accomplished and formidable individual to deal with, known for being beyond-well-prepared in his business dealings. (Couple people commented that he would've made an excellent attorney.) But. If Mr Olsen thought that NBC/CBS/Fox had anything to do with his illness, then I would believe that he had something to back-up any claim he would make.
    I am not an attorney either...but I do have access to Google. The link below helps clear up some facts in the legal case and its eventual settlement:

http://www.mesotheliomalawfirmblog.c...ttlement.shtml

Saludos,
    Eduardo

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    new score. not sure what I will do with it since i am proudly wearing stoddard and my car is a few years too early for this frame -i think its early to mid 70s.. (though who cares about that, right?).

I have a 1967 ohio plate '912' hanging in my garage.. i might just put this around it for garage art.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Merlin Olsen Porsche Audi, Inc
    15531 Ventura Blvd
    Encino, CA

I first heard of/remembered Merlin Olsen --- 6-foot-five, 275 (and not much weight-lifting, back then) --- as an LT, LA Rams, and --- along with Deacon Jones, Rosie Grier, and Lamar Lundy --- one of the Fearsome Foursome, back when football was still played on grass/mud/snow/ice, outdoors, in swish-less uniforms . . . by Guys usually covered in body fluids and vegetable matter. Tough Guy. Played well. ’62 NFL Rookie of the Year, 15 seasons in the pros (missed two games), 14 Pro Bowls, left the League in ’76.

Sorta.

Worked as a football Commentator/Analyst, in the 80s and early 90s --- with NBC first, CBS later.

Actor, too. Little Screen (Little House on the Prairie, Father Murphy, Aaron’s Way) and Big (The Undefeated). And Pitchman --- ‘member the voice of FTD?

Business Man, too. Utah native, Mormon, second of nine kids (1st-born son), graduated with a degree in Finance from USU. Summa cum Laude. With a Phi Beta Kappa key. 3-time Academic All-American. While he was tearing it up playing college ball. Turned down job-offers from IBM and Xerox to play pro. Added a Masters in Economics in ’71. While he was tearing it up playing pro ball. Did I mention he was in 14 Pro Bowls, and that he’s in both the College and NFL Halls of Fame?

Oh yeah --- and between knocking heads and knocking out degrees, Mr Olsen, together with his Rams pal, QB Roman Gabriel, ran a travel agency.

And a little Porsche store . . . out in Encino.

Bought out his partner after ’74 (?) --- Mr Gabriel was selling real estate, out in Orange Park Acres, last I’d heard --- then sold everything when he retired (late 90’s?). Died of mesothelioma ---- was suing NBC, Fox, et al because of it, at the end --- 11-Mar, 2010.

Lotsa these frames floating around, still. Many with their Dealer cards, too. Frame's probably more appropriate for an ‘80s Turbo or 3.2 liter --- see ‘snowflakes’ on the back.

Not so appropriate for Mr Olsen . . . .

Small frame . . . Big Man

The same day you put this post up, I had just put this frame on my car.
    Merlin, Roman and the Rams were my idols back in my playing days. I found it pretty cool that my car was originally sold from the joint dealership.
    From what I can gather, the Merlin Olsen frame is from after Merlin bought Roman out sometime in the mid 70's.
    Been trying to find the below frame from that time (1970) since getting my car 2 years ago, with no luck so far. So this one will have to do till the Pièce de résistance is acquired.
    Can anyone help a brother out?

Bud
    70E Albert Blue
    Member #1906

Thumbs up

Love that garage door graphic!

Here is my take on the subject...

Was at the family house where I grew up and was delighted to have found this displayed on one of the steel beams in my old basement....I think I had it on an old Rabbit I once owned back in the day...Holbert's was a thriving Porsche dealer back in the day, I don't hear much about them anymore...Currently residing on the back of my RoW '82 SC Targa...

Cool plate Harry. Not often you see the Porsche - Audi logo on a plate frame. It's a cool one.

Name:  IMG_2843.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  126.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post
    new score. not sure what I will do with it since i am proudly wearing stoddard and my car is a few years too early for this frame -i think its early to mid 70s.. (though who cares about that, right?).

I have a 1967 ohio plate '912' hanging in my garage.. i might just put this around it for garage art.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390