Thread: SEV Marchal Voltage regulator same (function) as Bosch voltage regulator?

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

SEV Marchal Voltage regulator same (function) as Bosch voltage regulator?

Hi there,

Is the SEV Marchal Voltage regulator as pictured the interchangeable (if it fits on the panel) with the Bosch voltage regulator? Am I right that you need a Bosch dizzy and alternator as well from the same brand to make it all work..

Thanks,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fourteenten; 10-24-2020 at 02:47 PM.

If you follow the engine bay jamb stickers , the brands cannot be intermixed .

Dizzy doesn’t matter, but matching alternator does. This is because the SEV Marchal alternator has 2 isolation diodes in parallel between it and the battery, while the Bosch does not. So you need a voltage regulator that has a 0.7V higher setpoint (1 diode voltage drop) to generate the same voltage at the battery than the Bosch unit. If you use a Bosch regulator, or most of the modern solid state replacements with your Marchal, your charging voltage will be 0.7V too low and eventually your battery will be discharged.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Thanks Ravi and Richy, it makes sense to find a replacement for the Marchal if it does not work.

Cees

This one works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have thread somewhere on how you can make it look like your old VR to the casual glance.

Ravi

Will the Marchal VR work with the Bosch alternator? That is how my ‘70E project was configured before my restoration.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

It will, but it could lead to excessive electrolyte loss in your battery. You’ll be charging with 0.7V higher than you should be. I see 14.1V at fast idle right after startup. You’d see 14.8V. That’s too high for a lead acid battery and borderline for a AGM battery.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    This one works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have thread somewhere on how you can make it look like your old VR to the casual glance.

Ravi
    Hi Ravi,
    can you please post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by fizeus View Post
    Hi Ravi,
    can you please post a link?
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1067854

BTW Tom, if you have an original SEV Marchal VR, thye are actually adjustable and you can solve that overvoltage charging issue. There is a thread on Pelican or here on how to adjust them.

Ravi

Thanks for your replies. I have dual Sonnenschein AGM’s in my 70 project. I have the same battery in my 73 hot rod and have been using it for several years now. The alternator in that car has an internal VR. I think I will check the charging voltage and then decide if I need to change out the VR in my 70 before I fire it up for the first time. I may go ahead and follow your lead on the solid state replacement transplant into an original Marchal case and have it ready in case I need it.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress