Thread: FS: @European Collectables '65 912 $39.5k

FS: @European Collectables '65 912 $39.5k

As the true 65 MY 911 prices have reached the stratosphere, are 912s next? Probably not, many more 912s were manufactured. I can't speak for the authenticity of this example, does not appear to be finished to a high standard; none the less, an interesting car.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Offered by European Collectables
    1965 Porsche 912 1.6L Coupe
    VIN: 451255
    Engine: ?
    Trans: ?
    Mileage: 78,779 (indicated)
    Color: Light Ivory/Black
    Price: US$39,500.00

Description:
    After the 356, Porsche built the 911 as a replacement and the next generation... of Porsche. With the 911 only Porsche had a problem right out of the box. The 911 was viewed as too expensive and complicated mechanically by many Porsche enthusiasts. So, Porsche came up with an idea for a simpler car as a bridge between the 356 and 911. The early "Painted Dash" 912. The later production had black satin painted dashboard in both the 911 and 912, Porsche decided to paint the interior dash surface with the exterior color of the car, just like the 356. Also, they used interior materials from the 356. The perforated vinyl and German square weave carpets were exactly like the 356. As you sit inside this 912, it has the simple flavor of a 356 and the push rod engine from the last of the 356SC in the engine bay.

This is the 1254th out of 4470 912s build in 1965! Exceptional rust free with no accident damage. Turnkey driver. Very rare and hard to find only 400 to 500 painted dash 912 were produced. Strong 95 horse power 1600cc engine, smooth shifting manual transmission and four wheel disc brakes. Rare 912 that is very collectible & hard to find!
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGS73E View Post
    As the true 65 MY 911 prices have reached the stratosphere, are 912s next? Probably not, many more 912s were manufactured.
    That depends on how you count them. I don't think there are many more 912 with 64xx paint codes than there are 911 with 64xx paint codes; something near 2000 of each as best I can tell. The standard production figures are end of calendar year 1965 not the model year. Breakdown for the 912 i think is near 700 Porsche body and 1600 Karmann body with 64xx paint codes.
    EC seems a little light on the details of this car. Perhaps someone interested in it could ferret out the missing information.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Doesn't look very tidy for 40k. But then again, I'm far from a 912 expert

If that was a 911 and a rust bucket it would sell for that. Go figure cause I can't. Is the 911 worth more? Sure it is but super disproportionately IMHO. If your gonna build a hot rod make sure you use a 912. The money saved will pay for one bad ass motor.

My '65 912, 451326, is virtually identical--light ivory, too. This one has a few minor snags that could be easily fixed: wrong air cleaners, horn button, and outside mirror; later headlights, speakers in doors, missing driving light hole covers. It does have the original 4-1/2" steel wheels. Obviously been lowered, too. If it checks out, I'd say that's a fair price. Not many of these cars are left.

No, If you are going to build a 'Hot Rod' 911 there are plenty of rust bucket, Goomba 80's, junk 911's and 912 to pick from now ( maybe not for long). NEVER alter a restorable Porsche 912/911 especially anything SWB! And as for plenty more 912's yes, but more were used harder, trashed or junked for being a low priced car for soo long (and more useable I think).
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914