Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

10k Mechanical Tach

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    . . . still need to work out a pragmatic solution for the 917/910 tacho . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    . . . Have you tried this place ?
    https://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=rare&p=other . . .

'. . . Perfect reproduction of the full mechanical (Smith) tachometer for the 906 or 910 with tell tail. Improved but authentic mechanism inside, all new, perfect look, tested to 9000 rpm . . .'

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Of course, you would need a one quarter of a turn rotated version.
    This sounds strange, is it correct in English?

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Assuming u have the racing oil filter console, all the mechanical tack parts drive off the back of the cam at #6. The cams have a recess for that drive, but I suspect u could come up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Of course, you would need a one quarter of a turn rotated version. (...)
    Yes, but then the text would be 90 degrees out too, as the tacho used for the 917 was specifically made to have the 7,000-9,000 rev range on the top of the dial.
    Haven't really looked into it, but as someone said before (page 8), I could try to source Lucas internals and fabricate a bespoke (100mm) dial.
    The workshop is making a ring to fit the smaller diameter dial in; that's most urgent for now.

Oh, another stupid detail: The left dial had 2 dymo embossing labels reading: "OELTANK" and "BENZINTANK".
    I bought one of those cheap new Dymo label makers at Officeworks a year or so ago, but found the spacing to be way out. So instead i sourced a genuine 1970s Dymo label maker to get the correct font and spacing. That should do the trick.
    I know, it's getting a bit silly eh?

Name:  IMG_4177.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  42.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  62.2 KB
    Last edited by patrick911; 03-16-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added reference pic of R6 restored dash
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

why is there "zundung" by the red and green knobs? (isn't that spark?) which are fantastic, by the way. I have a black one there..for the rear wiper...but a color would be great.
    what is the aluminum rod, taped under the knee pad?
    and the far left gauge for oel and tank is horizontal, compared to normal being verticle.
    and is the little pin, for the brakes and for the hood struts, a common holder for the door strap?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

"Zundung" switches should by the cut-offs for the CD units, I believe...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

yes, that's right. 'Zündung' is 'Ignition'. It was meant so the driver could test if both twin spark systems work individually.
    The restored R6 has two CDIs next to eachother in the engine bay, also using a red dot sticker on the left one and a green one for the right.
    Name:  25.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  62.9 KB

However, cool as that is, historic pictures show that they used the rear wiper switches (black) for both so no color coding.
    So I bought two black Bosch pull switches for my project.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    what is the aluminum rod, taped under the knee pad?
    I believe that's the line used for the fire extinguisher.

and the far left gauge for oel and tank is horizontal, compared to normal being verticle.
    It's the standard dial for 1973 cars, just turned 90 degrees to the left. I found some detail pics that show it clearer, just can't find them now.

and is the little pin, for the brakes and for the hood struts, a common holder for the door strap?
    I don't think I follow Scott.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

i see tiny holes in that aluminum tube, under the dash....so they must be holes that spray fire retardant (whatever it was), right onto the driver.

thanks for the red dot green dot description. that was amazing. so many details and differences from common cars.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Yes, but then the text would be 90 degrees out too, as the tacho used for the 917 was specifically made to have the 7,000-9,000 rev range on the top of the dial.
    Haven't really looked into it, but as someone said before (page 8), I could try to source Lucas internals and fabricate a bespoke (100mm) dial.
    The workshop is making a ring to fit the smaller diameter dial in; that's most urgent for now.

Oh, another stupid detail: The left dial had 2 dymo embossing labels reading: "OELTANK" and "BENZINTANK".
    I bought one of those cheap new Dymo label makers at Officeworks a year or so ago, but found the spacing to be way out. So instead i sourced a genuine 1970s Dymo label maker to get the correct font and spacing. That should do the trick.
    I know, it's getting a bit silly eh?

Name:  IMG_4177.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  42.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  62.2 KB
    That was the meaning of my remark.
    Maybe Elevenparts can do the 917 version.

And I appreciate the search for the right Dymo
    In fact, I was even wondering if you had a solution.