Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    yes, that's right. 'Zündung' is 'Ignition'. It was meant so the driver could test if both twin spark systems work individually.
    The restored R6 has two CDIs next to eachother in the engine bay, also using a red dot sticker on the left one and a green one for the right.
    Attachment 518567

However, cool as that is, historic pictures show that they used the rear wiper switches (black) for both so no color coding.
    So I bought two black Bosch pull switches for my project.
    The system is similar to the ones used on classic plane engines. You can select ignition system 1, 2, both or none to shut down the engine.

Collecting vintage dymos is just a side effect....
    I think I have the wheel for my dymo 1540 to write vertical too

Don't wan to be a wise guy. But the German word Lichtung is not existing. It simply called Licht.

Nice Project!

Just in case that you don't have this picture of R7 dashboard:
    Name:  DSCN6275 S.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  141.7 KB

The revcounter was changed before I saw her during Rétromobile.
    Name:  DSC_0053.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  91.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MPST View Post
    Don't wan to be a wise guy. But the German word Lichtung is not existing. It simply called Licht.

Nice Project!
    Thanks mate. Good observation. And that is the restored R6 that has the wrong text.
    I can't find pictures of that side of the dash for R6 back in the day, but Mike Moore, when he did the fantastic #107 Martini prototype had "Lichtsch" which I assume is for "Licht schalter" (light switch) which makes more sense.

Name:  Dash01.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  110.5 KB

@928cs: thanks: I didn't have that pic of R7. Funny how that car didn't have the most left dial not turned and it didn't have the dymo labels. They're all just that bit different
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

A bit more on the Twin Spark Ignition:
    The ignition system uses a pair of simple two pole Bosch on/off switches to isolate the CDI boxes for the upper and lower ignition circuits.
    Bosch rates these heavy duty switches at 25 amps.

For the "ST," the Race Department mounted the switches on the lower surface of the instrument binnacle just above and to either side of the ignition lock (main ignition switch).
    The Werks first used the same switchgear on the 911R and subsequent to the brief era of the "ST" the Race Department continued their use on the RSR,
    located still in the same spot on the lower surface of the instrument binnacle.

Their function is to assist in trouble shooting the ignition system. By isolating in turn the upper and lower circuits, they help trace a misfiring condition or other ignition gremlin to
    one or the other of the two circuits.

901.602.702.00 Schaltgerat - Switchgear Qty. 2

However, these simple switches were really just a generic item available to any and all through the Bosch catalog and across the counter at the auto parts store.
    And, they were sold not only under the Bosch brand name but also by other non-Porsche OEMs for various automotive applications.

Then I also ran across this picture I had somewhere in my archive of what i think is R6's dash.
    Contrary to its sister works RSR R7, which had a different steering wheel, no turned left dial and no Dymo labels, this one also has the aluminum bar under the dash and the 917 variant tacho, al hinting at this being R6. However, it could ofcourse also be the museum car (0020) that was made to look like R6 for a long time.

Name:  originaldash02.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  132.7 KBName:  Dsc01106-020museumcar.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  54.8 KB
    ^^picture of the museum Martini RSR car.

Two things:
    1. the pull switches could be in color afterall, as this one looks oily, dirty red to me.
    2. the Dymo they used was a German variant, as there's a "ü" in "Zündung" and it also shows it really had "Lichtsch." in stead of "Lichtung" as noted by MPST.
    Last edited by patrick911; 03-17-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: found & added picture of museum car 9113600020
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

@ MPST: I don't want to be a wise guy either, but "Lichtung" is really a German word! But you are right, it is not a word to describe a light switch in a Porsche!
    Golden greetings
    Andreas

Looking for the engine 6320484
    MY 1972 2.4S Targa
    MY 1973 T with gentle updates
    MY 1988 560 SL
    MY 1965 Giulia Super

Great project, really enjoying the build and attention to detail. Is there still a source for the dash mounted CDI switches (original or replica)? I have one but need a second for my Martini build.

Hi, thanks for reading & glad you enjoy. Interested to see a bit of your martini build!

Regarding the pull switches, I went the difficult way about it, measuring from pictures and searching an obscure German website that specializes in VW & Porsche parts, only to see an identical (Bosch) switch on Clyde's desk (that's Clyde from the awesome viper green ST build) when I visited him to buy another part for my car.
    He confirmed that was a switch used for the rear wiper in the early seventies cars, and Porsche being known for re-using parts wherever possible, I'm now convinced it is the same switch as used in STs and RSRs for the cut-off of the CDIs.

Sierra Madre have one here, which looks exactly like the ones I bought:
    https://sierramadrecollection.com/Re...73-p16864.html

Edit: apologies, I only now noticed that that switch is no longer available. Check on the item code elsewhere, otherwise, this is the site I bought them from:
    https://www.classiccult.com/
    search for "Bosch Schalter" or "Zugschalter"
    Good luck!
    Last edited by patrick911; 03-23-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Oops: part NLA
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Regarding the little rear wiper switch. In black. I see them for sales on "the samba"
    Very often.
    Even in ivory.
    Name:  8B7F7B12-FCEB-4DA2-9722-DEE30BDF3046.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  50.4 KB

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914