Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1974 Carrera Restoration - Family owned since 75

I went back to look at the Tech specs again and they are a little of a mystery. I don't believe the 72-73 cars were heavier than the 74-77s, but they are all listed as DIN weights, although only the 72-73 uses the term 'empty weight'. The difference must have to do with features and fluids.

Here is an article on DIN I found that points out some interesting facts about DIN.

Written by Aaron Severson
    Tuesday, 24 March 2009 13:14

Since we've been talking more about European cars this year, we have been making frequent references to "DIN" power ratings. We wanted to be sure everybody is clear on what that means.

DIN is short for Deutsche Industrienorm (German industry standard), a standard issued by the German national institute for standardization. That institute, known between 1926 and 1975 as Deutsche Normenausschuss (DNA), is now called Deutsches Institut für Normung, also abbreviated DIN. Among other things, the agency sets standards for how the horsepower and torque of automobile engines should be measured -- Deutsche Industrienorm 70020.

As you might imagine, the standards of DIN 70020 are specific, and very strict. Unlike the SAE gross standards used in the U.S. and Great Britain for many years, it requires power to be measured with standard intake, exhaust, and accessory systems in place. DIN horsepower ratings, therefore, are comparable to the modern SAE net rating system, although they are usually reported in Pferdestärke (literally, "horse strength," but generally referring to metric horsepower), rather than mechanical horsepower. One mechanical horsepower is 746 watts, whereas one metric horsepower is 736 watts; therefore, 1 PS equals 0.986 horsepower. Because of that, and because DIN horsepower ratings are calculated with the engine in "as-installed" condition, they are always lower than gross ratings. (The peak engine speeds for DIN power and torque ratings are often lower, as well, reflecting the effects that mufflers, air cleaners, and accessories have on the engine's power curve.)

Until the early 1970s, it was not uncommon for cars sold worldwide to have two power ratings, one DIN, one gross, largely as a concession to the salespeople. A Porsche 356 Super 90 engine, for example, was rated 90 hp DIN, but 102 hp SAE. Adding to the fun was the fact that, as we've previously discussed, SAE gross numbers were often dictated more by the marketing staff than the engineering department, and sometimes bore little relationship to actual output. This did NOT mean that the U.S. or British engines were more powerful than their European counterparts, simply that their ratings were figured differently.

So, before you write us to complain that we have maligned your favorite car by saying it had less power than advertised, please consider the source, and whether that source was quoting SAE gross, SAE net, or DIN figures.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

'74 US cars have the RS style tunnel reinforcement...kinda neat.

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Good info Gib.

Aaron - I've heard of this but don't have a good handle on what it actually is. Are there extra layers of sheetmetal, ribs, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Good info Gib.

Aaron - I've heard of this but don't have a good handle on what it actually is. Are there extra layers of sheetmetal, ribs, or what?
    Yeah...around the shift coupler access, there's a reinforcement that goes through the firewall to the torsion tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flat Six, inc.; 10-11-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook

From the inside...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook

The weight numbers are very interesting. I'm working with a friend to design a race car for SCCA right now and we are trying to choose between a 1971 and a 1974 chassis to build the car from. It sounds like we should scale them both as striped.

Mark
    Mathis Engineering
    mark@mathisengineering.com
    74 MFI Carrera
    77 3.0 930 Turbo Carrera
    2000 996 GT3 R
    2004 996 GT3 RSR

I was in Germany two months ago so I visited Zuffenhausen to get option codes for the Carrera. That was an interesting experience. While there, I stopped at the Porsche residence in Stuttguart where the first VW cars were built. One of the family members still lives there. If you have Ferry's bio, you will recognize it. I thought you guys might be interested in a couple pictures I took. I was sort of expecting a Chevy in the driveway - just kidding.

It was pretty hard to mis with the sign in front announcing that it's the Porsche family residence.

DSCN6402.jpg
    DSCN6403.jpg
    DSCN6400.jpg
    DSCN6413.jpg
    DSCN6401.jpg
    Mathis Engineering
    74 MFI Carrera
    77 3.0 930 Turbo Carrera
    2000 996 GT3 R
    2004 996 GT3 RSR

Nice... non changed a lot
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc. View Post
    '74 US cars have the RS style tunnel reinforcement...kinda neat.

Aaron,

Is that tunnel reinforcement on all the US cars going forward or just 74 cars?

Mark
    Mathis Engineering
    74 MFI Carrera
    77 3.0 930 Turbo Carrera
    2000 996 GT3 R
    2004 996 GT3 RSR

Quote Originally Posted by oemexp View Post
    Aaron,

Is that tunnel reinforcement on all the US cars going forward or just 74 cars?

Mark
    Pretty sure it ended in '74 but I haven't seen a '75 in a bit. The '76 Carrera 2.7 didn't have one...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook