Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 911 Coupe - Replacing front & rear windshield seals

Another related question for this discussion: What is the process for test fitting the new seals and anodized mouldings to ensure correct fitment on final installation?
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

I can attest to the value of the OEM Porsche seals ordered directly form Porsche. I've replaced
    so many seals... in dozens of 911's. OEM is the only way to go. With aftermarket you will CURSE
    the entire install process... and attempt the installation possibly 6 times and not be successful.
    There will be gaps, the rubber won't seat "right"... to where it looks good. Let alone seal potential
    outwater. Then you risk breaking your windshield every extra minute of working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Another related question for this discussion: What is the process for test fitting the new seals and anodized mouldings to ensure correct fitment on final installation?
    You don't test fit the seals,,,,what you do test fit however is the aluminum trim. If it isn't perfect the glass doesn't fit right and the trim will try to pull out of the rubber, especially in corners. I lay the trim in the windshield opening and make it fit the frame opening perfectly, not only in plan view ,but also in twist mode, ie. the barb that fits into the rubber groove must be perpendicular to the rubber. Usually the trim is bent up by careless removal, the trick is to never touch the trim, you remove the rubber from around the trim barb, you DON'T pull the trim from the rubber. And by the way, even new trim will arrive bent!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You don't test fit the seals,,,,what you do test fit however is the aluminum trim. If it isn't perfect the glass doesn't fit right and the trim will try to pull out of the rubber, especially in corners. I lay the trim in the windshield opening and make it fit the frame opening perfectly, not only in plan view ,but also in twist mode, ie. the barb that fits into the rubber groove must be perpendicular to the rubber. Usually the trim is bent up by careless removal, the trick is to never touch the trim, you remove the rubber from around the trim barb, you DON'T pull the trim from the rubber. And by the way, even new trim will arrive bent!!
    I’m absolutely agree & am pleased that this has been highlighted. Often not enough attention is paid to forming the trims prior to fitting the windshield & has to be attempted during the installation, which is far from ideal. It’s well worth the effort for an easy install & an excellent result.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Like Ed, I pre-fit the trim. Once installed a little hardwood block into which I sanded the same radius and a thin putty knife allow for final massaging

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi View Post
    I’m absolutely agree & am pleased that this has been highlighted. Often not enough attention is paid to forming the trims prior to fitting the windshield & has to be attempted during the installation, which is far from ideal. It’s well worth the effort for an easy install & an excellent result.
    Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Like Ed, I pre-fit the trim. Once installed a little hardwood block into which I sanded the same radius and a thin putty knife allow for final massaging
    Thanks Fellas, I appreciate your insight... I'm a ways away from this task, but I'll be more confident in doing the job when I get to it.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

The trim corners pop out with aftermarket seals.

Well….I would like some direction on my rear glass install, using Porsche rubber seal & trim
    Here are photos …
    Name:  86AACAA6-C46F-48F5-B79B-5EFDAF5C7F8D.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  75.8 KBName:  0539B655-CF3E-496B-A85E-E6222AC750BA.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  73.2 KBName:  6A3BC2CD-39FD-4B61-9126-D48E8956A99B.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  67.3 KBName:  8A63A89C-3C18-4819-9A9A-954D58980E6A.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  84.3 KB
    Seems 2 of the corners are slightly up form the rubber ….
    - will these be able to be corrected after install ?
    - does the trim need to twist outward or inward for better fit
    - what tool/tools are best to move the corner trim, my hands have pressured as much as I can ?
    - can this unit be installed by one person (me)

Thanks for assistance
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

don't forget to have the 2 clips in place when you install it, or you may have to take it out again
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik

What 2 clips? The ones that cover the ends between the 2 trim pieces?