Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch 005 MFI pump experts please

Question Bosch 005 MFI pump experts please

Below photo shows an MFI pump from a late production 1969S. There's no sign that it has been messed with or that it is other than original but there are no casting dates on the pump body or any evidence that there ever were. Is that usual with the 005 pumps as every other pump I own (no 005's) has casting information?

Additionally, can anyone throw light on the stamped numbers below the aluminium tag?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Name:  5894.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  76.7 KB
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

The 2.0 liter 69 pumps had no casting numbers on the pump section. Although there could be a very late 69 pump that has a casting number but I have never seen one. The casting numbers started with the 2.2 pumps. As for the "X" on top of the 005 pumps, that was stamped there to indicate the pump has the later improved #47 space cam installed instead of the early #37 space cam that had some over rich area's. The other small stamped numbers are from the Bosch shop that checked and or replaced the space cam to the later #47.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    The 2.0 liter 69 pumps had no casting numbers on the pump section. Although there could be a very late 69 pump that has a casting number but I have never seen one. The casting numbers started with the 2.2 pumps. As for the "X" on top of the 005 pumps, that was stamped there to indicate the pump has the later improved #47 space cam installed instead of the early #37 space cam that had some over rich area's. The other small stamped numbers are from the Bosch shop that checked and or replaced the space cam to the later #47.
    Thanks Mark. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Mark (or Mark)
    I understand that the 901 stamped into the aluminum plate means that it was made in January 1969 which gives the date that the pump was originally made

If mark (Jung) says that the other small numbers were stamped in when a Bosch shop checked or replaced the space cam could what looks to me like 422 stamped there mean that this was done in February 1974 (the month that 422 represents in the date code series)? Would that be too late to get the improved space cam?

Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

That would be very late in the game. Bosch tried to get the problem resolved fairly quick. Maybe a few got away. Great observation Hugh.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    R Gruppe #686

Mark,

That is interesting. This is the first I have heard that there were space cam differences within the 005 pumps.

I always thought things were rectified from 001 to 005 pumps but your information implies there were changes within the 005 series itself.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

FWIW, an 005 is a "sought after" pump.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    FWIW, an 005 is a "sought after" pump.
    Which is part of the whole dilemma I'm currently facing. The car's engine was completely grenaded but someone, prior to storing it 30 years ago had the forethought to salvage the entire fuel/induction and ignition systems so part of me wants to have a 'sort of looks original' motor - a proper 69S engine being out of the question when people are asking $15K for boat anchors and $29k for partly dissembled ones and others still are being 'banked'. So an 005 pump and all the S shroud etc would be a nice touch on a 77 Carrera 3.0 with 9.5:1.... not to mention what 240hp might be like in a 69S. The other option is a 2.4T MFI system - I also have lying around spare - so I was trying to work out if I had a 'good' 005 or a bit of mystery meat....sounds like a good one....especially as it turns freely with no noises and the return is free and crisp after all these years.
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Not to make this more confusing but, I need to clarify the space cam issue of the 69S pump. The first series 001 & 003 had the #37 space cam. There were some backfiring problems occurring with the new 69S and Bosch found the problem to be with the #37 space cam mapping. A re-mapping was done and the improved space cam was a #37 X. The #37 X was installed in the late 001 & 003 pumps and also installed in the early 005 & 007 pumps. The 005 & 007 also had some changes made to the regulator along with the 37 X space cam warranted the new ID tag of 005 & 007. Another fuel problem came up with the #37 X and was corrected with the final #47 space cam for the 005 & 007 pumps. So there was 3 different space cams made during the early 1969 2.0 S series, #37; #37x and #47.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    R Gruppe #686

I like your idea of the 005 system on your 3.0. So your 3.0 case is an early case and has the early main bearing bore as the 2.7?
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    R Gruppe #686