Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Control Arm Bushing Installation?

Front Control Arm Bushing Installation?

I've been in the house checking the computer info on this so often my wife sez I sound like a cuckoo clock. I bought an Elephant Racing Rubber Bushing Kit from Pelican Parts for my 1967 911S Targa. No instructions came with the kit. Front bushing, no problem. After so much fun removing the old rear bushings, with heat, grunting, and all that stuff, I now compare the control arm opening with the new rear bushings. Picture is enclosed. Note the metal sleeve already in the arm's hole. It is the same dimensions as the metal sleeve around the outside of the new Elephant Racing rear bushing. Question #1: Should I remove the present metal sleeve from the control arm's hole? Second question: What the hell is the purpose of the metal insert sleeve in the center hole of the Elephant Racing bushing? Does it serve some purpose or should it be removed prior to inserting into the control arm's hole?

Ah crap: The wrong picture showed up. Now I can't add another picture. I'll try on another post.

Jerry G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  Bushings.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  100.9 KBWhat a day. Now I can't figure out how to add the right picture. Any help? Maybe this is the right picture.

Ah, success. The old bushing is shown to the left with the new Elephand Racing to the right. The old insert is shown in the arm's hole, with a bit of it sanded to show it better.
    Jerry G
    Last edited by jerryg; 03-06-2014 at 03:26 PM.

member #1515
    So you are going to put those expensive new bushings into those rusty old arms?
    Call chuck at elephant for installation tips
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

David

What rusty old arms? Oh, those. I guess I'll have to sand them down and apply some POR-15 to match the undercarriage.

Do you have a number for "Chuck" at Elephant Racing. I am having no joy at reaching them on the internet.

Jerry,
    Check your control arm carefully, I think you'll find the old metal "sleeve" still rather stuck to the arm. They can be carefully cut and pried away. Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I will be doing this same job on my '67 shortly so I would be interested in the solution.
    1967 912 w/3.0 SC motor and tranny, RS door panels, stock body, power windows & brakes, and A/C.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...us)-1967-912-6

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

I did it here http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=dark+satanic

Be careful, the old elephant bushings went OVER the metal sleeve on the factory arm
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I'm finally figuring it out. Mark Allen, in his post four years ago, made a comment in red, regarding the inner bushing on the old bushing to install the new ones. Does anyone know just this means? And regarding the pressing on of the new bushings, asuming that one does not have such a press, how do you get the new bushing on the factory arm?

For Jerhofer, I suggest you follow this procedure referenced in 304065 carefully before you start the restoration.

Jerry G

Neither heat, cutting groves into the sleeve, not air chisel would budge the old metal sleeves on the control arms. I finally CAREFULLY used a grinder to remove the metal from both sides of the old inner sleeve down to the control arms. When the grinder approached the metal of the control arm, the color of the sleeve changed slightly (blue tinge) and at that point I stopped grinding. A few well placed taps (wangs) with a chisel broke the sleves off the control arms.

Next question: After the old inner and outer metal sleeves are removed from both the control arm and the "hole," what is the better method of installing the new Elephant Racing bushings? Is it better to put the new bushing into the "hole" first?

Measure the id of the elephant bushings, I bet it is too large to fit. Last time I talked to chuck he said he designed the bushings so you just remove the outer and the rubber and leave the inner on the arm.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen