Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 911 HLS

Porsche 911 HLS

Always something new...

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/arti...orsche-911-hls

Not even Google has heard of this Porsche 911 HLS

Can you believe that there’s still a Porsche model today that doesn’t have a single entry on Google? We wouldn’t have believed it either, until we came across this unique Porsche 911 HLS ‘retractable roof’…

Project ‘Racing Coupé’

Name:  _dsc0544.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  182.4 KB
    911 S 1967 and ...

Interesting.
    I once read about it in a German book of Car Design. (Cant recall were, I think Otl Aicher).
    Remains me of the Swiss 1970 Porsche Diba, also based on a 911 (2.2l), see below.

Other significant Porsche Prototypes here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=prototypes

Last edited by 911T1971; 12-02-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Registry member No.773

for the records

Registry member No.773

Registry member No.773

...and this.. ?
    Attachment 314378

or this (Vauxhall Guildsman)

Registry member No.773

My God, someone please tell me how to unsee this...

The HLS is totally the prototype for the 924/28/44 family. And wouldn't a Targa 924 Turbo be fun?! Ha!
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Why did they retain the numbering of "911" with with this car? It seems all of other 911 model variants got different numbers such as 901, 912, 930, 935, this specific car has less likeness in shape than others! Could this car get a different numbering associated to it, like maybe Porsche 909 for example? It also seems, that this car being rear engine and flat six; was very much different than front engine water pumper 924, 944 or 928 series models.

Many are stating this car as ugly, and its true. However I feel in fairness the design of this car seems unfinished. Its clear that all of the smaller, or for that matter, medium level points had not been worked out to its fullest potential. I think if they had more time with it, the car's door systems, for example, could have been more of a gull-wing or a regular side opening door. At the same time, the body shape could have been a hardtop, without that useless targa bar, and be allowed to have organized body curves. The design as this car stands, looks unfinished, and it seems that while they were working on it, some kind of issue, whether financial or technical issues the entire project seemed to have got dumped midstream. This car had a chance to have own shape after fair level of refinement.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384