Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 69 Turn sigs & flasher

69 Turn sigs & flasher

Hi all. Great forum y'all have here. I have a 69 that had a Hofco Burglar alarm installed when new. When I brought the car out of long term hiatus, electrical stuff seemed all weird. After many hours of getting all the Hofco crap out, reattaching wires, repairing wires, according to the diagram, I'm getting electrical stuff sorted out. A few Eurekas & a few WFT's but most all now in working order. Electrical stuff is NOT my strong suit. Thread searches brought me a long way, but I'm outta Aleve, skill, luck, & electrical karma. OK here goes:

Problem: I have NO L/R, F/R turn signals or dash arrows; or 4 way flasher, switch activated, still.

Key OFF: the L & R side parking comes on F&R as it should & the flasher switch activates the flasher in trunk ( I can hear it clicking on & off in steady rhythm) but no lights flash at any corner (or even light for that matter). I have parking/side marker lights & headlight hi/lo beam, interior lights, dash lights (except no arrows for Tsig in tach).

Key ON: all lights same as above + the back up lights, brake lights, fog lights, cig lighter, fan. Wipers & Horn now also work as they should. Pull the Tsig switch down, or move it up, nothing F/R (no Tsig light on at all any corner) or dash arrow, but I can hear flasher clicking. The 4 way flasher pull switch activates the flasher also as I can hear it clicking on & off but same result, no lights at any corner. I changed the multipurpose relay with a new one, no change.

For a brief minute or so when I first hooked the power to the car, the arrows came on L/R but no exterior lights.

I cleaned the large brass type lug grounds at the two battery boxes; the two in the rear at the bumpers; new correct ground strap at battery. Cleaned metal attachment points on body to shiny brass/ sheet metal. I polished with a dremel each fuse connection side and polished each fuse end, replacing each properly, one at a time, in both fuse boxes. All have the correct amp fuse per the books. I verified the color coded wires from the diagram in/out of each fuse connection at boxes, all correct. Took out each screw that holds wires at fuse box & cleaned then replaced. I chased wires under dash to verify connections of right colors etc to each switch and relay bundle. I removed the clam shell and cleaned the Tsig lever switch contacts. Same type cleaning of ends on the emergency flasher switch & headlight switch. I installed a new correct 4 pin NOS (expensive) flasher. Pulled each bulb & cleaned bulb & contacts. Strong battery power.

Also, I lost my note on the tach wiring (senior moments cause more writing of things down as I do them) when I pulled burg alarm stuff from there. On the back of the tach, bottom connections, L to R, I have blue/yellow, then black/purple, then twin brown. Is that right?

Is there a ground from the T sig lever bundle or somewhere I missed? What the hell...I'm outta ideas, so any and all help appreciated to point me in the direction of where do I check next to troubleshoot this?

Thanks, George

This may not be the same in your case but my signals acted very similar. I found out the emergency flasher was wired wrong. When I rewired it, I found that the wrong wiring fried it. When I replaced the emergency flasher all worked well.
    Fortunately I had a spare to experiment with. Buying one just to see if it works would be quite another problem.
    H

You might already have this wiring diagram, but I found it very useful troubleshooting problems with my '69 911T. It's for a 1969 911E/S but the T is pretty much the same.

http://content.us.porsche-clubs.pors...les/69-911.pdf

I hate old alarms.......I would guess that the alarm when sounded was set to flash the indicators?

What flasher relay did you get, is it the tall can?

Are you getting power to the indicators when they flash? Have you checked the continuity from the relay to the connector for the light harness?

Agree with the above check the wiring on the hazard switch (69 is a one year only switch) as this wil prevent it from working.

If when you connected power you had both indicators on, this would indicate as circuit problem. It's a closed circuit and if anything is open both indicators in the Tacho will flash.

The wiring to the Tacho sounds right, are you running CDI? Has the Tacho been modified? Are you running an intermediate unit?

If your playing around with this and are not 100% comfortable with auto electrics, I strongly suggest fitting a variable power supply for testing, or atleast something less than 12V or you run the risk of setting fire to your wiring, or welding contacts in switches.
    Tony

I had similar issues removing the alarm from my 69T and the one-year-only flasher and harness. Trial and error was the only way through it all. I agree with Tony - go to the local electronics store and buy a 12v 15a circuit breaker. Disconnect your + cable and run a small power wire off the battery and through the circuit breaker to the + bus in the fuse box. If you accidentally short circuit anything, you only have to reset the circuit breaker and not rewire a melted harness or a replace a cooked bi-metal flasher can.

Best of luck, it's a royal PIA!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi all. Thanks for the tips. I did get the color version of the T/E/S wiring diagram and doing my best to follow that maze of spaghetti.

Tony, can't tell if the old alarm when energized what it did. Every time it seemed to do something different until my lights, horn etc would work, then not work, then work differently than the last time. So thats why I did the PITA removal. It had a 3 pin flasher when I started this adventure. I now have a 69 oe tall can 4 pin flasher and a couple of new Werhle black plastic 4 pins currently available and sold by the P car vendors. I ordered some new 5 pin round relays, bulbs and such to use while figuring things out so I dont goon up my orig ones. Indicators dont flash at all but relay clicks....sometimes, then it doesn't, then it clicks even when key off or on. I noticed according to diagram there is a yellow jumper connected from lite switch to flasher switch supposed to be there, mine is not there. No mods to tacho I know of or were evident. I suspect things got moved around on the pins of the flasher & light switch. that is my next step to verify all wire color to pin connections.

So today my start point was as described in my thread....BUT hooked up battery and turned on key fuse 6 & 7 box 1 popped. I swear I didnt change or move or splice or add anything to any wire. I pulled the 4 way switch and then suddenly all 4 lights came on as they should, one time for a few seconds, then never again...and fuses popped. THEN with key off the curb park lights worked on both sides as they should before; now the L side F/R worked, & the right side is dead. WTF?

I'm in a small town & the nearest P car 911/912 69 or up is a couple hrs away. Local shop won't touch it. So I have to fix it...and electrical is not my best play. Thanks for the help so far. I'm going to give it a rest for a day or so until the spare parts get here & I can sit with a beer and the diagram and see if I can figure out paths and such...I know enough to be dangerous...but I figure Columbus took a chance so what the hell,
    George

George, have you got a decent multimeter? The wiring diagram and the continuity setting is your friend
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Guys thanks very much. Besides the lack of electrical background I have just been jumping here and there based on inputs saying to check this or that. I am very grateful to have the inputs from y'all....dont misunderstand. If you dont know where you are going any road will get you there most often...and I realized unless I take a more orderly approach on the actual wiring I may never get it. Cleaning all the grounds, fuses, connections etc was not wasted time. So, I took a break, serviced my neglected 356, went and smashed bugs all over it yesterday, then washed it and my truck. Beer today and no P car electric stuff.

Seems I need to take a more logical approach after taking out all that burglar alarm crap. I'm not sure I've had the correct wiring diagram either. In the reference http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WiringDiag.htm is SL 33 the one I should be using for the 69 models?

If so, that is my baseline and I will just become friends with my power probe, multimeter, and the SL33 diagram and just start following every wire, every connection that involves this area, one at a time, and seeing what's at each end of each wire, is it a good connection, and if its plugged in according to the diagram...light switch, T sig switch, flasher switch, flasher itself, fuse box.

Good tip on the OG alum relays which are all intact. I bought a few new black plastic ones and will replace the og ones until I get this sorted. Once I'm sure SL33 diagram is the right one, I can probably be able to mostly noodle it out before I bug you guys anymore.

Hopefully I can keep the smoke in the wires instead of letting it out.
    Thanks guys.
    George

George,
    You want SL 33 for 69. You also want to make sure you have the 69 one year only flasher switch (not the relay under the cowl) in play or you will never get this sorted out. Take a picture of the switch and post
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thank you. I'll get back at it soon and report back any ah-ha things I find. Thanks again. George