Thread: Rear deck Grill, so what do I have here?

Rear deck Grill, so what do I have here?

I've got a '68 soft window Targa, serial number 12870624. I bought the car in the early 70's and never gave much thought to either the rear deck lid, or the grill. After 40+ years of ownership of this car, I realized that the rear deck lid is aluminum. Now I'm wondering if the grill is original to the car or a later one. I've checked Dr. Johnson's guide, and am now thinking that the grill was changed for a newer one, prior to my purchasing the car. What do you think? Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve Meltsner

Your car (VIN 12870624) would have come with the 3-bar grille as shown.

The last 912 Targa to use the earlier-style engine lid grille was VIN 12870336.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks Andy. I feel much better now.
    Steve Meltsner

Your decklid is aluminum and has 5 bar supports. It is from a 70/71S, so a replacement

The grille is for a 68.5-69 car, so correct for the car and potentially original.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Your decklid is aluminum and has 5 bar supports. It is from a 70/71S, so a replacement

The grille is for a 68.5-69 car, so correct for the car and potentially original.
    Agreed, correct grill, incorrect lid. Sell the lid, buy the correct lid, get it painted and then have the extra 2k in your pocket.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks Michael, I thought about that, but only for a second. I'll just keep the non-original lid on the car.
    Steve Meltsner