Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: early 64+65 feature??missing metal strap for glove box

'64/'65 911 glove box strap: Welded or bolted?

just realized that a `65 911(3013xx) i have in house is missing the metal strap to hold the glove box insert.
    there has never been one but the positioning marks are present.

is this an early feature??
    if so how was the insert mounted?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

hmm interesting, will check my stuff as soon I have time.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Mine has it, there is a right angle bend in the free end with a bushing into which a cheese-head screw fits to secure the box.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Banned
    all have the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    all have the strap.
    i find it strange that #11 has it and #96 not

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    i find it strange that #11 has it and #96 not
    May be Frank can check again? May be his car - since that early - was an experimental car.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Banned
    Richard,

There are some things in life I'm not completely sure of. Among them:

What the term "Government Efficiency" actually means.
    How matter originated.
    If Progressives are born in this condition or they just had a bad childhood.

What I am absolutely certain of without a moments hesitation is that 300011 has a glove box strap.

300 149 had the strap in place.

Do I see scuff marks where the strap was wiggled till it fell off - the scuff lines are the width of the strap and 10mm or so below the location indents??

Could the original have missed it's spot welds and later removed.

While taking a 1966 car apart the front of the drivers side rear inner fender (from top to bottom of that joint) was held in place by just one spot weld. it appeared that the paint and undercoating was the only thing holding it together and kept it from squeaking... just an example of spot welds missed - at times).
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

#129 has it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    300 149 had the strap in place.

Do I see scuff marks where the strap was wiggled till it fell off - the scuff lines are the width of the strap and 10mm or so below the location indents??

Could the original have missed it's spot welds and later removed.

While taking a 1966 car apart the front of the drivers side rear inner fender (from top to bottom of that joint) was held in place by just one spot weld. it appeared that the paint and undercoating was the only thing holding it together and kept it from squeaking... just an example of spot welds missed - at times).

dont think that it fell off... must have been prior painting..cause it is stil in factory paint.
    someone would have realized this during assembling...and at this time the guys at the assembling line must have come to a certain routine already.

i think the 65 strap was mounted in the same way as on #96
    the strap on 96 is mounted at the glove box magnetic snap fixing point --looks original to me

will compare the length of it with a weld strap

the indentions to help position the strap are present but looks hand made unlike the early `65 (above pic).

note also here are scuff marks

f.
    Attached Images Attached Images