Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver/Red 69S Restoration

When the paint goes on it always starts getting extra interesting. I guess this is where i started deviating a bit. I went dual stage, and in retrospect maybe I should have gone Glasurit. And I chose to drop the Wurth undercoating and trunk/engine bay paint.

Again, it was only original once, and if i screwed up i hope it stays in the family and my kids have a blast doing it even better than i did. Then again, its exactly as I want it at the moment which is what matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by sehoel1; 09-23-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added pic

i left the red interior stuff that was original in storage for posterity, and had tony do the interior bits in red leather. once again i deviate in that houndstooth makes its way into the center of the seats. and i guess technically everything else is supposed to be leatherette. i moved the original red basketweave (which was on this car originally but i did not get with it - guess how long it took to find an original set without any speaker holes ) onto new cardboard myself, probably not very correct but a nice result

finally things started to wrap up on the body front:

and as they were, i was busy gathering up the consumables/expendables (i admire the all original, but in this case if its soft its got to go). also, freshening up on some of the electrical, although i did leave the original harness in place

finally she's home, and its time to assemble the LEGO's. yes, that was a first gen iPad, which dates this, as do the rims on the car next door, unlike the timeless beauty from 69

you're right LongRanger, it has been a lot of years. I've so enjoyed watching the pics on this forum after long days of work - my turn to share

i took a stab at cleaning the instruments myself, and quickly realized i was out of my league. off to north hollywood, and they came back better than new. the motometer external temp gauge was converted to digital, but the analog guts were kept for posterity

its getting late, even here on the west side. but wanted post some of those pics i love to see from others. more to come.

how in the heck am i going to get that engine under the car? it won't drop in from above either. (don't answer that )

see you all soon

As a 69S owner I am seriously impressed was your front oil cooler still in good shape or did you acquire a new one from a source??
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Woke up to this thread. What a fantastic intro.

Thanks for sharing. Very special car you have there
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hi Clyde,

That's the original oil cooler. Those pics were around 2012. However, as i progressed with the build and found that the soft line portion of the front setup was NLA (hoping I'm wrong about that), and given how the two short soft lines go into fairly thin aluminum sleeves, I decided to put on new lines and a replica cooler while I learn more about the original system. Last place I want oil coming down is there. If anyone can recommend a good source to test the original oil cooler and fittings, thats where it will be going.