Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '65 911 Wipers

'65 911 Wipers

I have a '65 911, but unlike photos of other '65's I've seen, the wipers on mine park to the left (driver's) side instead of right. Especially now that '65 911's are becoming sought after, I've seen lots of (photo) examples, all with the wipers parked to the right. I have seen one in a private collection with the wipers parked as mine, but that's the only one. Does anyone know if this was some odd option or any other explanation?

Early 65's parked on the right then it changed mid stream to a left park. you have a higher number 65

from model year 68 on parking position is left side(not sure about RHD)

Somebody reversed the wipers, a common hack. Put them back in front of the passenger.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Somebody reversed the wipers, a common hack. Put them back in front of the passenger.

make sure to never turn them on as they will scratch the hell out of your cowl. You will either need a new motor or you will need to change the setup on the linkages so they will move toward the driver side instead of the passenger side

~J~
    air cooled only

Yep. should be on the right side...

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Left park wiper examples

Well....

there are examples of the wipers parking to the left in factory photos from fall 1964 and winter 1965.

As exampled by this factory car, the B/W photo was taken in January 1965 prior to it's drive to Monte Carlo.

TK is a car I thoroughly enjoyed for three decades and had to withstand years of questions about where the wipers parked - they had never been any place but on the left.

300 032 on the left.

300 049 on the left prior to the restoration.

T7 prototype was also on the left.

During the Monte Carlo rally the wipers park were changed to the passengers side and there-after, starting in the spring of 1965, the production cars had this placement.
    (The color photo of the Monte car is the restoration of 300 055 being driven last year. It shows the left position wiper arms moved to accommodate the right park position with the passenger side tipped up (historically correct for this car) rather than laying more level as did the 1965 production cars).

So depending on when your car was made, 1964 into early spring of 1965 left position was used, and spring of 1965 thru model year 1967 right side was the placement.

The parts books give four part numbers for left part and right park wiper arms to accommodate LHD and RHD countries.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

THANKS for the photo's (and everyone elses valued info). According to the COA it was built July 12, '65.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post

The parts books give four part numbers for left part and right park wiper arms to accommodate LHD and RHD countries.
    Hi Bob,
    I don't understand this. Can you please clarify and why? My understanding is that there is one arm bent left, and one arm bent right, 2 part numbers (and I've never seen more than that). And... there is no "straight" arm, which to my knowledge started with the 1968 model year. In 1968, as there was a straight arm, you then needed a RHD part number as well as a LHD part number for the "bent" tip, as you needed one bent left and one bent right. Pics show wipers parked on left and right. I've not moved the arms from one pivot to the other, I've only changed the park position.

Thanks for your help Bob!

Eric,
    Delving into the parts book - I was so wrong - there are not four part numbers, it has a total of 5 part numbers for the wiper arms:

Illustrated item #9 901.628.015.00 SWF brand and says for "left and right" hand steering - this is the style I was thinking of for the straight because the illustration looks to be a non bent arm.
    Item quantity is just one, so it was mated to another item for the pair. The illustration is showing one straight and one bent as the intended configuration. (It's the first line item so I read this as the first iteration with following items being companion, changed or updated items. And the modification code is .00) (Or am I off base and this is the 1968 change giving a third wiper configuration?)

the second item #9 901.628.015.20 Bosch brand calls out only the "left" hand steering. (no indication if it has the slight bend to the shaft - but is a driver side specific.)

item #10 901.628.013.00 SWF brand "left" hand steering bent shaft

Second item #10 901.628.013.20 Bosch brand "left" hand steering same bent shaft

Item #11 901.628.014.00 does not indicate a brand but does call out "right" hand steering and the bend is illustrated as opposite of item 10.

The example on your blue car both of the arms have a bend in opposite directions, with your history researching these for manufacturing you have the most experience and I must defer to your knowledge - do they have the same amount of bend or is one greater than the other.
    Do the right hand drive items have similar bends, driver and passenger side have the same amount of bend or not?

(sorry if I'am making simple - confusing)....
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 06-25-2016 at 12:10 PM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370