Thread: Who Can Identify the Year of These Seats?

Who Can Identify the Year of These Seats?

I bought a 911 a while ago and it came with this pair of seats... instead of the correct sport seats.
    Recently I was able to purchase a set of the sport seats for the car and now am thinking of selling
    these. I was told that they are not '71 seats (the year of my car). Can anyone identify these year
    of these seats? ;o) I was told they may be mid- 60's. '65-'66?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Nickm View Post
    I bought a 911 a while ago and it came with this pair of seats... instead of the correct sport seats.
    Recently I was able to purchase a set of the sport seats for the car and now am thinking of selling
    these. I was told that they are not '71 seats (the year of my car). Can anyone identify these year
    of these seats? ;o) I was told they may be mid- 60's. '65-'66?
    This one is easy. They are 1968 seats. There is no way they would fit in your 71 properly. They fit any SWB, though. They look to have been recovered and covered up the headrest holes in the process. 1968 seats are the only SWB seats that lock the seat back on both sides.

Regards

Jim

Just noticed that the seat backs and hinges have been swapped from right to left and visa versa in a vain attempt to fit them in a LWB car.

Regards

Jim

no head rest holes.... could be 67?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
    no head rest holes.... could be 67?
    No way, they are 68 seats. They are missing their black spring covers, too. Seat back locks on both seats is a dead giveaway.

Regards

Jim

So do you think they were early 1968 seats without the head rest or do you think they were the later 68 seats and the headrest holes got covered up? Or is it impossible to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    So do you think they were early 1968 seats without the head rest or do you think they were the later 68 seats and the headrest holes got covered up? Or is it impossible to tell?
    I believe they are early (made and sold before Jan of 1968) 1968 seats that do not have provisions for plug in headrests. I also remembered that the early 68 seats had plated crossbars and would have had beige spring covers. The seats in the picture are missing the covers but they would have been beige. So, there you have it. They were probably made in July or August, maybe September of 1967 for installation in the first wave of 68 cars. Most, if not all, of the 68 seats with headrests or provisions for headrests had black painted cross bars and tubes and black spring covers. This pair of seats could be described as "interim" early 68 seats.

Regards

Jim

was there a difference in the insert materials or weave patterns during the early years?
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Agree with Jim. They are early 1968 seats. Just like on my October 1967 911L Sporto except mine have "elephant hide" seat inserts. The beige plastic spring covers are very brittle now and rather cracked unfortunately.

1968 for sure!