Page 42 of 77 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Vintage P Dealer Plate Frames.

More Mozart . . .

. . . as seen yesterday at the PCA Parade . . .

Several previous mentions. When I asked about this little bit . . . this Owner broke out in a huge grin. Told me that the frame came w/ the vehicle --- a '68 912 . . . when she purchased it in '72

Never seen/heard/read about one like this. Extremely b!tchin'!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Chick Iverson

. . . from the '70 PDL . . .

422/146/1
    Chick Iverson Porsche Audi, Inc
    900 West Coast Hwy/445 East Coast Hwy
    Newport Beach, CA 92660

Previous appearance . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...e-Frames/page6

Like Vasek Polak, another long-/Big-Time dealer Porsche Dealer. But made his reputation --- and most of his money . . . selling VWs. (His 2nd choice --- behind AMC. Lucky, huh?) Son of immigrants, he started out selling Porsches in Chicago, moved to CA, sold a ton o' Bugs to Hippies, ended-up owning the largest cattle ranch in Oregon + the 6th largest in the US. All w/a HS education. Close friends w/ one Marion Mitchell Morrison aka John Wayne. (They're buried next to each other, actually)

Anyway, prolly the 2nd most-replicated dealer frame out there. So many around, in fact, that I can't absolutely tell the genuine from the not --- especially any w/'Audi' on them

'Cept this one . . . as found on a '69 'E' Sporto, VIN = 119220871 --- the ex-Roger Grago garage-find, from a few years back . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...1E-Sportomatic

. . . as caught in the parking lot at this year's PCA Parade Concours . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-21-2014 at 06:44 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

why does the "patina" look like it's been added artificially ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    why does the "patina" look like it's been added artificially ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
    That's not artificial. I've bought numerous VP plates from those guys. They're honest sellers who search far and wide for great vintage plate frames. No funny business.

Just Looking

I've been interested in these Porsche dealer frames for a few years, now . . . but, since then, my preferences + the things that I look for, have slightly changed

And 'patina' is one of the last things that I zero-in on . . . for two reasons

1)..patina's not reliable. I have an NOS frame that looks/feels like it was made yesterday, which --- if I didn't know any better . . . would've made cynical-me suspicious. But the way I found it --- + and the RWB&Co on the back () . . . pretty-much sealed the deal. Short-version: if I'd been relying on 'patina'? . . . then I could've been mistaken

Likewise, there are people who actually go to the trouble of deliberately 'patinating' their frames. There was a poster here who'd proudly done some aging of a newly-purchased Brumos frame --- see post #265. Nothing wrong with that --- just 'suiting themselves' . . . but it just under-scores my other reason, which is . . .

2)..patina's reproduceable

More + more, the things that make license frames interesting to me are the nuances that some can display --- the surfaces + textures, the little scribings + details, the Makers' names . . . stuff that only shows up when I look really-really closely . . . at something that was actually rather carefully done, + long before anyone paid any attention. Which is why I take all those autopsial close-ups. I mean, hanging there on the back of a car . . . who even looks at a license frame?

I rely a lot on period photos, too. Some frames --- like VP's . . . were produced for decades + in a variety of configs. And since I'm interested in only a very small period, having a vintage photo can be really helpful

So can original cars + owners. I ran into a lady at the last PCA Concours who had a frame on her car from a certain dealer + time . . . who was just thrilled when I asked about it . . . a little secret that she finally got to share. Really neat!

And that's the thing about all these frames . . . their odd power. This stuff is pretty-much invisible --- unless I'm looking . . . and when I do? --- these'll pop-up in some of the d@mndest places

To me? --- dealer frames are kinda like coins + stamps . . . mundane/everyday-type stuff that people just used/disposed of . . . never thinking about 'em --- if they even noticed 'em . . .

. . . and then, one day --- they do . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-02-2014 at 04:52 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

We Can Be Heroes

QUOTE=LiveFromNY;742971]That's not artificial. I've bought numerous VP plates from those guys. They're honest sellers who search far and wide for great vintage plate frames. No funny business.[/QUOTE]

Those black vasek polak frames are scuffed up reproductions im afraid , original ones are hard to but do turn up once in a while ...

My Original vasek polak early 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by rasher View Post
    Those black vasek polak frames are scuffed up reproductions im afraid , original ones are hard to but do turn up once in a while ...
    No, they are not. I own dozens of these frames in all conditions and I have accurate records of each and every (I think) style plate frame ever used by VP. I even have two frames that I picked out of their trash when I was much younger and walking by the Hermosa Beach dealership every day. There are reproductions out there but the black/white frames discussed in this thread are 100% authentic.

http://www.2timesauto.com/vasek_polak.html
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 07-05-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Europa Motor - North Hollywood...

Name:  Vintage Dealer Plate_Europa Motor North Hollywood.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  79.4 KB
    1969 911T #3495
    Member #2793