Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Absurd question re Shell sticker to stump my fellow RS owners

Gburner
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfturbo
    only be a matter of time before you or Gagen took me out to the woodshed!
    Rest assured, my track hiatus is only temporary. In fact, it won't take much persuasion at all to coax me out of retirement. Perhaps even this weekend....
    Woodshed me? I spend too much time there, half of it on the wrong end of the stick.

Riz makes some good points for all the Early S and R Gruppe street drivers.
    Honest Rob step back from the 580hp twin turbo with your coach Cort Wagner and enjoy some 8/10 laps in a nice light 200hp+ hp 911, easy and fun.

TRE- Dave B, Riz and I were up for organizing an R Gruppe/Early S Streets of Willow performance driving school this weekend but the Lit show took priority. If there is interest maybe later this year we can schedule something?

PS love my wife too.

Shell

Hi Rob...

What I noticed about the use in production with the Shell decals was they where introduced very much like the transition from the flat orange hood badge to the early clear red hood badge,,, Which by the way also had a 901 insignia on the back... What i mean is they where alternated in use,,, March-June is what i've seen as being a focal point for introduction for both items, but NOT consistant in use,,, So i would say,,, take your pick.. I've come across highly original 74' MFI euro Carreras with the early yellow Decal.

Regards,, Robert Gross...

Shell Sticker

Very old thread . . . interesting

My car shows absolutely no trace of any 'Shell sticker' . . . either on the air-cleaner snout, or anywhere else

What's the application of this?

And any photos of the OG 'white' and 'yellow' Shell stickers?

We Can Be Heroes

Hi, we have reprinted both type as we use them on our resto's I will try and get some pictures for you.

HTH

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Very old thread . . . interesting

My car shows absolutely no trace of any 'Shell sticker' . . . either on the air-cleaner snout, or anywhere else

What's the application of this?

And any photos of the OG 'white' and 'yellow' Shell stickers?
    Rick,

These Shell stickers are 'correct' for 72 and 73 cars and potentially not the RS. It is my understanding the stickers would not have come from the factory on MY71 or earlier, so your car should NOT have any traces of one, which it apparently doesn't.

Here's a link to the repros available on the S Reg Boutique:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/mag...n-sticker.html
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks for that, Bryce

But doesn't your #761 have one o' these?

(I think that's why I was asking, in the 1st place)

We Can Be Heroes

member #1515
    It's funny, my car was produced may 73 and I distinctly remember tearing the yellow sticker off as I thought it was not quite appropriate to have on my air cleaner. Of course now I want one on again.
    Of course mine is not an RS (factory) but the S had basically the same stickers.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Thanks for that, Bryce

But doesn't your #761 have one o' these?

(I think that's why I was asking, in the 1st place)
    No, my car currently has a shell sticker on the snorkel that is clearly from a late model 911. It's not 'correct' but I like the way it looks so I left it.

What I think ole Capt Mike was attempting to do was replicate what was on the intake snorkel from back in the day. I imagine originally it was some sort of service station oil change sticker.

Sort of discussed here with pic of my car circa 1970:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...68-air-cleaner
    Last edited by beh911; 09-28-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add URL
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    My 73S #538, Nov 72 production has yellow sticker, also has Weltmeister window sticker. My 73RS #861 March production has the white sticker, and has the Can-Am window sticker which RS book says was a March 2 1973 introduction. I thought the change of the window sticker and the white shell oil sticker might be connected. Don't know for sure. Anybody else? Gordon

As mentioned in the old linked thread… I’ve done a lot of book and practical referencing and think I’ve came up with some interesting points.

- I’ve found that the Shell stickers were put on by both the factory and the dealers.
    - The transition from the ‘yellow (more square)’ sticker to the ‘white (longer rectangle)’ sticker came about March ’73. My own April ’73 build S had an original white sticker.
    - My assumption (being a designer guy) is that the factory had Shell redesign their sticker to the longer white rectangle to match the more horizontally wider formatted CIS air boxes that started production in Jan. of ’73 … and would be the basic air box design for years to come.
    I assume it took all concerned a couple of months to make the transition from yellow to white.
    - Interestingly, I have never seen a yellow sticker on a ’73 1/2 CIS car, only white or not at all.

Again, with two entities (both factory and dealerships) applying the stickers, and the time for transition from one sticker to the other, there would be really no set date for the change…. And plenty of room for exceptions.

My .02
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter