Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 911t Sportmatic

72 911t Sportmatic

HI ALL,
    I need some help with a model I am not familiar with. It is a 1972 european 911T targa with sportsmatic transmission The vin # starts out 91121 & the eng # starts 652 with zenith carb's and look's to be mostly all original. Have these car's appreciated at the same rate as the other's? Can anyone tell me what it might be worth, ballpark. It is in good condition with minimal rust in one spot which would be an easy fix. Thanks Dan

72 sportsmatic

havnt had the pleasure although i think they are a neat little car,

Generally, the most desirable early cars are the S models 5 speed sunroof coupes, and in my opinon, T model Targas with sportomatics are on the other side of the spectrum. The early cars are now enjoying high values and with a high tide, all boats rise with the tide. But in a falling or slowing market, this car will surely be the first to plumet. I would think a safe price would be in the $8K range. But test drive a 5 speed first and see how you like it compared to the Sporto, it's a different experience. Good luck Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Dan,
    I have a 73 S Coupe with sportomatic. Earlier this year I wrote to Bruce Anderson asking him how sportomatic transmissions affect market value. He responded to me by email (not sure if I can find the email) and then put an expanded version of his response in the letters section of Excellence. I'm not sure which issue of Excellence, but it was within the last year.

Not Bruce Anderson's words exactly, but the conclusion I drew from his answer was that a 911 with sportomatic was roughly analogous to selling a house with a swimming pool. If some one wants a house with a pool, the pool is an asset. If the potential buyer doesn't want a pool, it's a liability. It's just a questoin of finding the right guy.

Meantime, enjoy the car. It is an interesting challenge to drive, but it is fun. And remember, there are two type of sporto drivers: Those who have embarrassed themselves, and those who have not- yet!

John73 S and 69 912 in rehab

roughly analogous to selling a house with a swimming pool.
    Most people like swimming pools, not many people like Sportos, or Targas!
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Nick,
    Here in Ohio, the season is so short that some people view a pool as a high maintenance pain the butt. Others like them.

As to Targa's and Sporto's, I 've got one of each. In their own way they're fun to drive. But if I had to limit things to only one car, I agree that there is nothing like an MFI coupe.

John
    73.5 Targa, 73 S coupe sporto, 73 2.7 mfi coupe, and a 69 912 in re-hab

I like targas and I like sportos - LOL!

I currently drive a 68S sporto coupe - love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Porsche
    I like targas and I like sportos - LOL!
    And I love my pool... So there!
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Aside of likes and dislikes, Dan's inquiry was a pure market question. While the SUPPLY is much fewer for Sportos than Manuals, the DEMAND is far far much less. Throw in the fact that it is a Targa and a T, Well let's just say, if it was chocolate brown, it would be the least desirable of the 911 lineage, IMHO. Remember when these cars were new? The Sporto was marketed to people who didn't know how to drive a manual but wanted the prestige of owning a new Porsche. 35 years later, the market (for the early cars) consists mainly of enthusiasts who all know how to drive a manual and want to drive them vigoriously. The Sporto definitely takes away from this experience. Bottom line, if you really want a Sporto, Targa, T, don't pay too much for it, it will always lag an up market and be the first to plummet.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Yeah Um...

...Dan, the real issue should be about why that '72 car has Zenith carbs on it. Targas look good from the inside looking out. Coupes look good from...well, every angle.

The Sportomatic is a fine and rare trans. They are becoming more rare as they are getting replaced rather than repaired. Once you get the feel of the shift points, that trans is quite fun. Just like the others.

My little 911T hangs tight with the 911S cars as they just eat up the hills. My little secret..I only have a standard 4 speed 901 Trans.

Certainly not a secret any longer. Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399