Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Package ?

Comfort Package ?

What did the 'Comfort Package' consist of in 1973 ?

By that time the Boge hydro-pneumatic struts & 14" Fuchs were no longer available were they ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Hey Andy... you get my first post!

Just yesterday I got an email from Marc Noack at Porsche AG regarding my cars options (UK delivered '73E). On it he said it has the following -

*Interior 13=Leatherette black, seat inlays Pepita
    *Options G20 (group number contains 400=Alloy Wheels 6x15, 404=Stabilizer front and rear 15mm, 423=outside mirror drivers side, 426=chrome trims on wheel housings, 470=comfort equipment, 568=coloured windows, 651=power windows)
    *409=Sport seat left and right
    *425=Rear wiper
    *650=sliding sunroof

Im guessing the comfort equipment (470) will include carpeting, S gauges and leather bound steering wheel. Can anyone confirm this as id also like to know.

Thank heaps

I think that the S gauges, external trim, and leather wrapped wheel where all part of the S appearance package.

Andy,
    From Christophorus 86 June 1970.
    Thinking about this,the term Comfort Kit is a bit of a misnomer as seen in the list.
    Maybe in 1973 the description should read - Boge Hydro struts,14" wheels,high profile tyres,front only sway bar,standard seats and soft shocks ,or was this concept out of date by then ?
    ...just my 0.02c...
    Andy 74 - where are your pictures...they are mandatory on this board for a freshman...

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Here is a link to the list of 3-digit option codes that was put together on this forum not long ago, including option 470 'comfort group for T-model':

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-or-list/page2
    Last edited by ThomasTe; 11-14-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Thomas
    1973 911S Targa

The 'Comfort Package' that I'm referring to appears on the CoA for a 1973 2.4 E

Like 'classic' stated above, I've always thought that the leather steering wheel, S gauges, sill trims, S decor trim, velour carpet, etc were collectively known (in various combinations) as the 'S appearance package' ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    The 'Comfort Package' that I'm referring to appears on the CoA for a 1973 2.4 E

Like 'classic' stated above, I've always thought that the leather steering wheel, S gauges, sill trims, S decor trim, velour carpet, etc were collectively known (in various combinations) as the 'S appearance package' ...
    Well, by 73 the Hydro struts were no longer being used and the E essentially was standard with all S options except the engine and I think front oil cooler right? So, that leaves me thinking the 14" wheels which were commanly used in the earlier "Comfort packages" I think you could get the earlier S with the 14s as well. I've always wondered at this because my 70S lists "Comfort Equipment for 911" on my COA. Not that 14s will EVER be on my car.

Unfortunately my COA does not list any codes. They are really getting lazy.

What is funny though when you look at a window sticker for a S for example it will list all of the standard S features as well as whatever extra options it had. Marketing you know.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

'Comfort' vs 'S'

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 74 View Post
    . . . I got an email from Marc Noack at Porsche AG regarding my cars options (UK delivered '73E) . . .

*Interior 13=Leatherette black, seat inlays Pepita
    *Options G20 (group number contains 400=Alloy Wheels 6x15, 404=Stabilizer front and rear 15mm, 423=outside mirror drivers side, 426=chrome trims on wheel housings, 470=comfort equipment, 568=coloured windows, 651=power windows)
    *409=Sport seat left and right
    *425=Rear wiper
    *650=sliding sunroof

Im guessing the comfort equipment (470) will include carpeting, S gauges and leather bound steering wheel. Can anyone confirm this as id also like to know.
    In reading some of the comments so far, it sounds like the the 'comfort' package is being equated with the 'S' package.

Hmm.

My '70 'S' lists the 'comfort package' as an option on its CoA. Why would a vehicle that already comes with all the 'S' stuff on it, also come with a 'comfort' package . . . that consisted of 'S' stuff?

I don't believe that a 'comfort package' has anything to do with 'S' equipment. At least not for an 'S.'

But I've also wondered about this 'comfort package' business. My car came configured with European equipment (lights, speedo, no VIN sticker), and is reputed to have been first-delivered in Austria --- un-confirmed: I'm still checking.

But I've noticed some odd things.

First, even though the interior is listed as 'Black/Red Leatherette/12,' the front seats have cordouroy centers, pretty authentic-looking, too --- but the rears are all vinyl. I was thinking that the seats were re-upholstered sometime over the last 39-years, but with only 58k kilometers showing (documented back ~20 years, but still checking) . . . maybe not? Has anyone seen standard seats with this kind of material?

Second, my car has a number of 'luxury' options like power windows, tinted glass, and a rear wiper listed. For a while, I thought that this stuff was somehow part of the 'comfort package,' but the fact that they're listed seperately now seems like they're probably not.

So I'm back to thinking about seating material.

Could 'comfort package' refer to cordouroy seat material in the interior? Versus leather or houndstooth which had their own seperate designation? Again, I don't know if my interior is original; was cordouroy even available? If this upholstery is authentic, then has anyone noticed a correlation between the reference to a 'comfort' package on their CoA and the presence of cordouroy standard seating in their cars?

And does anybody have documentation for a 'comfort package' with sports seats?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

1971 911T Irish Green

comfort package

I agree that it doesn't make sense for a "comfort package" to be on the CoA for a S. My 1971 911T has the S decor and is listed as a "comfort package for 911T"

Chris Johnson
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Long Ranger
    here are some infos

-interior pics of a 70S
    your interior looks pretty standard, Corduroy inserts and leatherette bolsters, which is another name for vinyl.
    The rear seats are standard. "Flat bottom" head-rests: 70/71 style as opposite to "Peanut shape" head-rests of late 72.
    My RoW car including Corduroy originally came exactly like this.

-vinyl vs. leatherette
    the small 1973 color binder speaks of leather (optional) and leatherette.
    It does not use the term vinyl.

-"comfort" vs. "appearance" group M470.
    In 1970, the option was factory named "Appearance group".
    "Appearance group" was optional for T and standard on 70E, 70S.
    By 1971 and up to 1973, the same option "Appearance group" was re-named "Comfort" group, also for RoW cars.

-comfort package on 1970S
    wrong CoA info, my guess.
    In any case, an 1970 option M470 was then called "Appearance group", as also stated in 1970 accessory folder !

-S package
    I beleive the "S" package was a term never officially used by the factory but a popular description of option M470.

In 1973, "comfort" M470 was standard only on S and optional on T and now also on E.
    You could order the option and all other popular options individually, including Koni's, rear wiper, etc.
    Also, the standard 1973 E would not have chrome rocker panels anymore like a 1972 E would have.
    The option "comfort" M470 would supply your T and E model with "S"-package including 6x15 Fuchs wheels
    but would not include Recaro or leather seats.
    (Recaro seats back then, opposite we think today, wasn't a very popular option and was in any case
    not a very expensive item.).

----
    Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    and the E essentially was standard with all S options except the engine and I think front oil cooler right?
    See above. In 1973, 911E was essentially like a 1973T, which was not the case in 1972.
    A 1973E needed option M470 to be "like" a 1973S.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 11-14-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Registry member No.773