Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange VIN / Engine Number combination

Strange VIN / Engine Number combination

Hi there,

as a newbie let me just introduce myself. I am a german Porsche enthusiast and I had two 911 2,2S some years ago which had to go for buying a house. What shame.... Now time has come to look for a nice S again and I came across a car in Italy which has a very early F-model 911S Coupe 1973 VIN (911330XXX) and the engine number 6320107 which seems to be a 1972 type. The car also has the 1972 gearlever but definitely the 915 gearbox. This also seems to be a sign for a 1972 gearbox.

Soe does anybody out there has a similiar combination or is it sure that the car has got an earlier engine / gearbox later in it´s life. This would sound strange to me as it is a one owner car and was stored for a long time before beeing restored last year.

Thank you very much for letting me benefit from your experience!

Wolfgang

Lightbulb

Wolfgang,

Welcome to the board....

Becoming a club member of the Early 911S Registry you get a roster of all the club member's VINs and engine #s (if they want that info published)

According to our roster:

The earliest '73 we have listed is 0145 and it has a 633 engine...
    The engine # you listed would be roughly sequenced to one of the first 125 '72S's we have listed.

There are always exceptions... but this is the info the club has on hand

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Wolfgang, welcome over here.

632xxxx is a 72 engine. I have a couple of italian-delivery 73S (both quite early, oct and nov 72 built) and both have a 633xxxx engine, so I think it has got an earlier engine.

Where is it located in Italy?

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Hi Andrea,

the car is for sale at www.bielle4x4.it

Do you know this dealer?

I have just checked again: The engine number is 6320107; the VIN is 9113300304.

Wolfgang

Chuck,

thank your for your help. So the car really has an earlier engine then..... But on the other hand as far as I know there are no significant differences between the 72 and the 73 model, right?

And what I don´t know: are there any differences between the gearboxes of the 72 and 73 type? Where can I find the gearbox number and what would be a 72 and 73 gearbox-number?

Thank you for helping me further, Wolfgang

thank your for your help. So the car really has an earlier engine then..... But on the other hand as far as I know there are no significant differences between the 72 and the 73 model, right?
    No significant differences I know of between '72 and pre-March build '73S engines..... and even then the differences are minimal.

And what I don´t know: are there any differences between the gearboxes of the 72 and 73 type?

As you know the '73 915 trans came with the later 'tower' shifter... so I would think the trans #s are different.... I believe the ratios are the same.

Where can I find the gearbox number and what would be a 72 and 73 gearbox-number?

The trans # is stamped on the bottom rib... through the years this # sometimes (a lot of the time) becomes unreadable....

As far as the type # I/you would have to look at the 'little factory spec. book' ... mine is at home while I'm at work....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,

thank you again. The only thing is that I don´t know what is meant with the "little factory spec book". I have got Dr. Johnson's 911 book and some german ones but could not find the gearbox numbers yet. I will continue searching in the Internet....

Wolfgang

Lightbulb

Wolfgang,

This is what you want:
    http://www.racecar.co.uk/edmondharri...?ProductID=568

You can get re-prints of the book for about $50.00 here:
    http://www.automotion.com/product.as...dept%5Fid=4014

Or check ebay.......

Hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Wolfgang,
    I don't know the dealer, but I think I saw the car was previously for sale at another classic car dealer in the area. http://www.classicmotor.it/inventory.asp?age=0
    Apart from the non-original engine, I see it hasn't got italian plates, probably was exported and recently reimported in Italy.

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Hi Andrea,

thank you for your reply. At the other dealer´s homepage I just saw a 2,2S in tangerine, but as you told me the 2,4 most likely was offered by this dealer formerly.

What is your impression from the photos? You can see the wrong gearlever and obviously wrong headrests..... As I will be at Milan tomorrow I plan to go there to take a look.

Initially I was looking for Targa but could not find a good one yet.

Wolfgang