Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Mr Anderson

Researching 1059’s history is at least as interesting as the car itself. I’m all wound-up from hearing about the ‘dealer 100 = factory use’ stuff + what that means. And I’ve got some Blaupunkt bits to ID/dig-up/buy/install to get The Nasty Car back to ‘as-built.’ Mark Allbaugh, the Owner-before-me is on the board, now . . . Mark A. And Lou Scalzo, the Owner-before-him is looking for pictures, so . . . hoping to get some more tales told

But . . . one particular/special tale --- won’t. Looks like I was a little late finding the Man who found/bought/imported 1059 over here from Der Schweiz . . . .

According to the records from CA DMV, Previous Owner #3 = one Donald C Anderson, so . . . did some digging

I found 28 --- one, in particular . . .

Donald Clifford Anderson
    Mission Hills, CA (11/84 to 12/89)
    . . . according to CA DMV,
    1059 was sold on 21/2/85, so geographically + temporally --- this fits
    DoB = 9/25/43

DoD = 5/6/11

I have an address, so . . . try to make contact w/ any surviving relatives, but . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-29-2013 at 05:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Going Out Today . . .

. . . My name is Rick Kreiskott and I’ve been trying to trace the history of my car --- a green 1970 Porsche 911.

I’ve owned this car for about 4 years. In that time, I’ve found and talked with several of the previous owners . . . including one Mr Louis Scalzo.

Mr Scalzo told me that he purchased the car from a gentleman who owned a ranch-type property of some sort, somewhere off of Topanga Canyon Blvd. He did not recall the man’s name.

I did some research and found that my car had once belonged to a Mr Donald C Anderson, who had sold the car to a Mr Louis Scalzo, in Feb ‘85.

I did some more research, and came up with the name of Donald Clifford Anderson . . . but unfortunately, this Mr Anderson passed-away a few years ago --- but your name + address came up in my search for him.

I don’t mean to disturb or upset you, but if you knew Donald Clifford Anderson? . . . or if you remember anything about this car? . . .

. . . Then I would very much like to speak with you . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Very

Nasty Car’s ready for Fontana

1059 hasn’t been washed in, like, forever . . . but then again, this car doesn’t exactly get dirty, either. Nothing seems to stick. What little dirt she does get, is at the front-end --- bugs + guts, mostly . . . especially up under the bumper . . . and in the back- --- a gummy coat of schmutz . . . leaking oil that’s getting vaporized/spread-out from under the car by the cooling fan. And I didn’t touch those areas

Even if I did? --- they’d only stay clean for, like, what? --- 5 seconds, maybe? . . . so . . .

Did clean-off the outside, though --- hood, fenders, roof, engine cover, doors . . . consisting of wiping things down w/ a damp ‘super cloth,’ then drying w/ another. Car’s only been waxed, once?, a little, about a year-and-a-half ago, maybe? --- I think that I was still worried about letting the paint-job de-gas some

Anyway, took me a week --- working after-hours, after work, coupla hours a night . . . wiping + cleaning + polishing-off some blems --- trying to, anyway . . . then putting on some carnuba. Not exactly sure how well things turned-out because I was working under some pretty nasty fluorescent lights . . . couldn’t really see. She ‘feels’ smooth enough, but . . . I’ll find out tomorrow AM. Bringing some cloths + stuff . . . just in case

Cleaned her inside, too . . . which was easy. Best thing about Old Cars? --- I can only get ‘em so clean. Everything’s pretty much broken-in looking, already --- scratches + scuffs + wear + tear . . . so all I do is shake out the mats + carpets, vacuum whatever’s left, take some hot water + a clean cloth, wipe stuff down, then? . . . put everything back

‘Cowboy’ tidy

1) + 2) I’m not much for coco mats --- messy + kinda cheap/cheesy . . . throw-off all kinds of dusty/shabby/fibery/flammable crapola, inside the car. Then again, if they’ve protected those 43-year-old carpets? . . . then I guess they can stay. Mangy

3) + 4) + 5) Another Best Thing about Old Cars? . . . they’re old. I’m never gonna worry about getting any of this dirty, maybe spoiling any finishes. I actually LIKE things like this. That shiny seat bracket? --- that broke at Rennsport IV . . . so Marco fixed it at the last service. I wanted to Krylon the thing . . . but Marco powder-coated it. I feel like scuffing it every time I see it

No one sees this stuff at shows

And this is my favorite part --- the part I look for . . .

. . . and why I bought this car

Old

. . . and lucky . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Very . . .

Everything in there works . . . as far as I know

‘Course, I'm still not sure what half those switches do . . . and I’ve never even tried to turn on that radio

But --- she goes . . .

. . . and she smells

I'm leaving the windows down, tomorrow

We Can Be Heroes

Looking good Rick !
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Antennas . . . + AMAG

I received some information about how the electric antenna gets installed in LWB cars --- thanks to Ed Mayo. The pdfs that Ed sent were too big to put up, so . . . I took pictures of them + posted them on another thread
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for....-on-a-69t-LWB

I’m putting those pics up here again, so I can find them again, later . . .

And here's another thread --- w/ Faktory-type illustrations . . . old, too . . . SWB? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ics-etc-please.

Also --- heard back from AMAG, today . . .

. . . I’ve made some investigations about your Porsche with VIN 9110301059 and found together with the manufacturer, Porsche in Germany, that your car was not delivered directly to Switzerland. The invoice date, which is normally very near to the production date is stated as 01.12.1969 and an internal delivery to the Porsche AG, not to a dealer . . .

. . . Since this car was not delivered from factory to AMAG, we have no Kardex or other documents concerning this car and are not able to give you more details about owners or repairs, performed in Switzerland . . .

. . . Sincerely . . .

It’s personally signed by Ramon Karrodi

Hmm

This all sounds like a repeat of what I’ve already found out --- information gotten from the same source, maybe? And I can understand that no Kardex would be forthcoming, + no Wagenkarte --- it seems 1059 wasn’t sold thru AMAG . . . new or used. Also, no AMAG tag anywhere . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=wagenkarte

OK-OK . . .

But why no ‘details about owners or repairs’? According to ASTRA, the car was in CH for over ten years. Seems kinda odd that no Porsche dealer would’ve seen the car, in all that time. And if one did, wouldn’t AMAG have a record?

Anyway . . . another doc for the file
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-17-2013 at 08:36 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

The 4-Inch Gorilla . . .

Lou Scalzo --- 1059’s Owner from ’86 to ’87 . . . dug-up + sent some pictures that he'd taken of the car, waaay back. Just got ‘em, this AM . . .

1) Very First Shot --- taken, maybe, 30 minutes after he bought her, Lou said . . . somewhere off of Topanga Canyon, in CA ’86. ‘1GXY855’ matches the tag on 1059's CA DMV record. All of her Euro trim is there --- lights + turn-signals . . . + the later ‘S’ front bumper, flag mirror, front plate (w/ brackets?) fitted

This is the best shot of the windshield that I have . . . and the closest thing that could be a decal is on the right-side glass --- not the left

2) Hollywood, FL. There’s the fire extinguisher . . . shinier . . . . + w/o any black over-spray/transfer

3) + 4) Front bumper's alignment’s off --- and apparently mostly stayed that way . . . up until John (Esposito) re-finished the exterior, 3 years ago. At that time, John’d fabricated a new LF bumper bracket + fitted an original-style/non-spoilered bumper. He also discovered that the LF quarter was a vintage factory-primed replacement panel. And I’d already found + removed a ‘70’s vintage elec compressor + set of air-horns --- one of which had a chipped trumpet

I always took all this to mean that 1059 had been in a shunt, early on --- when original replacement panels were still cheap/easy to get. The LF battery box had an Old-Skool braze repair, as well --- but the damaged bracket stayed, curiously. I assumed that the later style ‘S’ bumper was fitted at the same time. And when I changed-out/traded this bumper, three years ago --- it was still virgin

But The 4-inch Gorilla in the room --- is that little insignia, down low, on the LF quarter . . .

5) . . . a small Porsche logo

Mark Allbaugh, the PO to me, took a close-up snapshot of this little bit, back when he painted 1059 . . . gave to me, when I bought the car. I didn’t give much thought to this feature, at the time --- thought it was kinda ‘weird,’ and was actually glad that it’d been taken off, when Mark’d done his re-spray. I did keep the picture, though --- as a kind of ‘secret’ tell . . . in case I ever needed to verify that someone really knew the car back then

I’d quizzed Lou about this insignia, too --- back when we first talked about 1059. And sure enough --- he remembered it, right away

We’ve talked some more about it, since, too. Lou described it as being an odd ‘pale-yellow’ --- and not a decal . . . but painted-on/-over --- in clear-coat

Until Lou’s photos came, the only picture I had of this logo was Mark's. And because of the angle --- + because I thought it was weird . . . I’d pretty-much disregarded it --- always assumed that it was just some garish/tasteless/kooky little ‘flourish’ put on by someone to personalize the car, Way Back . . . like those ‘shields’ the Ferrari Guys always go for

Gak!

But, now, to me --- seeing these photos . . . they show something very different --- not what I was expecting. The insignia is way-more subdued –-- subtle, even . . . not garish, at all. Lou said he thought it was something a body-shop may’ve done, back when 1059 got one of her four coats o' paint

Hmm . . . maybe

But. In all my twenty-some years of hanging around Porsches? . . . . I have never seen anything like it . . .

. . . and --- the more I think about it? . . .

'Dealer 100'

'Museum Car' green

Company logo?

. . . or family crest?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

That's an awesome update on your car, Rick

Sleuthing through period pics are a great way to rebuild a car's past.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Continues to be one of the best threads on the discussion board!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Edited

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    But why no ‘details about owners or repairs’? According to ASTRA, the car was in CH for over ten years. Seems kinda odd that no Porsche dealer would’ve seen the car, in all that time. And if one did, wouldn’t AMAG have a record?
    As an importer, AMAG did record only first sales dealer, importer dates and production details of the car.
    Unless a factory Kardex, they do not record warranty services, so you can't get these infos from them.
    This would be recorded in the Maintenance Record booklet.
    However, it would have probably been rare to get a Porsche directly through the factory, as AMAG had an importer-only monopol.
    Swiss custom and importer laws would have made it extremely complicated and certainly time consuming.
    The only other Porsche I know that was registered in Switzerland but not imported through AMAG was Jo Siffert's 1971S.
    This car was given to him directly from the factory.
    Interesting, It features the same metallic green color as your car. Siffert was known to like green cars.
    Siffert also had a Porsche dealership (Dealer 100?) and was therefore able to sell Porsche cars.

you quote the ASTRA aka Swiss DOT info on your car:
    "IV/AVCode Kanton . . . . . A GR
    Datum . . . . . . . . . 28.02.1982
    1. IV-Kanton . . . . . . . . . BL
    1. IV-Staat
    1. IV-Datum . . . . . 29.12.1971
    Halterartwechsel . . 04.11.1981 . . ."

Are you shure the Owner M.Mazza in Davos owned the car since 1971, as you state ?
    Because the region code for the city of Davos is GR (Graubünden).
    And the date where it was first registred in GR (i.e IV InVerkehrsetzung) is February 28th 1982.
    Before, a change of ownership was registred on November 4th 1981.
    So who owned the car from late 1971 to 1981 ?
    According to Astra, not Mr.Mazza.
    The car was first road registered on December 29th 1971.
    And as you stated, it was built on Dec 1st 1969 but not in use for 2 years, until December 1971.
    However, a Swiss dealer could drive 2 years it with exchangable commercial dealer license plates and would therfore not be obliged to privately register it with ASTRA, as it belongs to his company fleet.
    There is also the info of BL, the region of Basel (Basel-Land).
    The car was therefore first road-registered in Basel-Land, not in GR and this two years after it was built.

we have no information what the car was used for,*
    and nothing about the history!
    mit freundlichen Grüßen . . .
    Which part of the factory responded you ? The archiv ? If its dealer/factory use, there must be records.
    Did Dieter Landenberger respond you ?

This is the best shot of the windshield that I have . . . and the closest thing that could be a decal is on the right-side glass --- not the left
    Edited: As you stated, it might be a Weltmeister Decal.

But, now, to me --- seeing these photos . . . they show something very different --- not what I was expecting. The insignia is way-more subdued –-- subtle, even . . . not garish, at all. Lou said he thought it was something a body-shop may’ve done, back when 1059 got one of her four coats o' paint
    There might be a reason the car had an unique Porsche decal on its left door side, like older 356's had their builders tag.
    In May 1969 Siffert signed a sponsorship deal with Swiss fellow Jack Heuer to wear his logo and watch, but Heuer stipulated also that Siffert would now drive Porsche only. At that time, Siffert drove an Alfa Gulia, since he sold these cars as a dealer.
    Your 1970S could be (one of) the FIRST 911 Jo Siffert owned. For the Heuer story reason (and for what Porsche he drove in 1970 as its known he got his 1971S only in spring 1971) and especially the registration infos provided through ASTRA that AMAG did not import your car into Switzerland, maybe your car was therefore once owned by Siffert.
    I beleive back then, only Jo Siffert himself was able to import Porsche cars without going trough the main and one-and-only swiss importer: AMAG. Mind you, Switzerland is a small country.

[/B]
    FYI, here is the Siffert's 1971S story, the car he drove a year later and only for a few months, as he died in October 1971.
    Its metallic green color/beige int. was later painted slate grey by Member Milou, sold through auction and for sale in Germany,
    as most know on this board.
    It had no 72oil trap but 2.4l equipment, 2.4L Sportomatic prototype engine all built on a May1971 2.2l chassis.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=siffert+911s

Here is Jo Siffert's 1971S (Chassis 1180) with later owner.

Check the windshield decal on this 1971S.
    The lower left one is the LM parking pass, to the right the Weltmeister, barely visible.

Check the RoW brackets for front number plates.

Last edited by 911T1971; 05-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Registry member No.773