Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Porsche 911S for sale

1973 Porsche 911S for sale

Hi, Everyone:

Looking for advice again...please see link...
    http://www.vintageautousa.com/showroom/detail?id=46

Does anyone know this car? The owner has had the car for 20 years. I was just curious what you thought about the color change (both exterior and interior) and what a color change of the extent noted has on the car's value...The owner is asking $93,000...I haven't seen the car or inspected it, but according to the dealer/owner, it was completely redone. The plastic gas tank is (according to the dealer/owner) a dealer installed option. It is not noted on the C of A...it seems it has had the chain tensioner update. The battery box was replaced as it was rusted out, but other than that, I am told there is no rust damage or rust repair and no accident damage or accident repair. No documentation from factory or dealer except the C of A. No ownership history documentation. What do you think? Present market value?

I am far from an expert, but the color change kills it for me, considering that the seller wants all the money.

Sallytoes,

The car has been for sale for over a year. I personally wish that they had restored the car in Sepia with a cinnamon interior but others may disagree. From pictures the car appears to be a restored '73 with an external/internal color change. For the money I would want a set of restored '73 sport seats to go with it. Go get a complete PPI from a respected mechanic and see what they find. Considering how long its been sitting I would offer 65k to 75K and see if they negotiate.

Best,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Hi, Dave:
    A bit of irrelevance maybe, but do you think it is sitting for over a year due to price or because the price is too high for a color change car?

I like originality too and prefer correctness for the money...the motor and trans are as I am told original to the car but I don't know how many miles have been added since the rebuild...Also, what do you guys think of a recent restoration/repaint? I must admit, I am looking for input since it may take a while if the body prep was not thorough and nits starts to show through...

911330977 . . .

. . . has been here before:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=9113300977

(See posts #238 and 239.)

And several other places, too, from the looks of it.

Personally, color-changes aren't a deal-breaker for me ---- as long as the paint is done well. And as long as I wanna keep the car --- for me. Sounds like a decent-enough car --- its just orange instead of brown.

It almost feels like the people buying these cars now are concerned with liquidity (as in, 'I can get rid of it --- for what I paid for it --- if I have to'). Maybe color-changes, non-matching numbers, or Sporto-conversions all scare these people off? . . .

'Course --- being on the market --- and on eBay --- for a year-or-so probably doesn't make anybody feel any better about this purchase.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Sallytoes,

I have not seen the car so take the following with a grain of salt. For me the color change and the lack of documentation is a significant drawback and is likely taking prospective buyers out of the equation. Folks paying nearly 100K for an early 911 in this market are looking for a no excuses car and this car is not that.

In my experience nearly all early 911's end up costing the same in the end. You can pay for it up front or you may, as I did, decide to buy one that requires more work and costs less up front. For me it made sense to have the utility of the car and be able to get the work done to the quality I demanded over time in order to make it more affordable. Also, it gave me a project to do over time which appealed to me.

Whatever you decide it needs to make sense to you.

Best,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by sallytoes View Post
    Hi, Everyone:

Looking for advice again...please see link...
    http://www.vintageautousa.com/showroom/detail?id=46

Does anyone know this car? The owner has had the car for 20 years. I was just curious what you thought about the color change (both exterior and interior) and what a color change of the extent noted has on the car's value...The owner is asking $93,000...I haven't seen the car or inspected it, but according to the dealer/owner, it was completely redone. The plastic gas tank is (according to the dealer/owner) a dealer installed option. It is not noted on the C of A...it seems it has had the chain tensioner update. The battery box was replaced as it was rusted out, but other than that, I am told there is no rust damage or rust repair and no accident damage or accident repair. No documentation from factory or dealer except the C of A. No ownership history documentation. What do you think? Present market value?
    It's interesting that someone would order a plastic gas tank but not sport seats. Especially in an S. Anyway, when you're restoring a car to that high of a level then to me keeping the factory color is a huge deal. Ownership history would be nice also. When that kind of money is asked for a car you'd think they would take the time to try to find out some history on it. Unless, it's not a good past.
    72S, 72T now ST

I'd prefer the twin to Chucks car also in for sale area for that money, much better deal, much better colour and meets most of your originality criteria
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

This car will auctioned at Amelia Island by Gooding on 3/11.

http://www.goodingco.com/car/1973-po...911-24-s-coupe
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

■Sensational Era-Evoking Livery

Gotta love the marketing of a color change..........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"