Thread: Porsche vs Corvette circa 1970

Cool Porsche vs Corvette circa 1970

Found this May 1970 article on Motortrend's site. (It's likely been in their site for a while but I just stumbled upon it)

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/ro...n/viewall.html

A bit biased in favour of American muscle but informative.
    Marc C.
    1970E

its Apple and Oranges.

Porschegal

CEO of the Best early 911 parts store in Southern California

www.Schnellautosports.com

I'd love to see a pic of the E's Bosch 'electronic fuel injection' the article references...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I thought it was a pretty fair article overall. After all, if you're judging performance cars and one posts clearly better performance figures, you can't just ignore that. And, the author sums up the review with my favorite passage:

"However, discarding such things as styling, performance and handling, fancies which pass with age, one basic fact remains, Porsche quality. Just listening to the firm slam of a door and the quiet hum of the air-cooled engine gives one the impression the Porsche will last forever. We would wager that 10 years from now the 1970 LT-1 won't be as mechanically or structurally tight as the 911E."

I have both cars, and I just can say there is no comparison. My Corvette is a 71 regular 350, 4 speed coupe and my Porsche a 1969 911s. The only place that the Vette can compete with the Porsche is in a strait line, up to about 80mph. After that, it feels unsafe drving the Vette. The Vette can only win in in a beauty contest :-) The truth is that it is expectacular. For me the Porsche is a sharp sports car and the Vette a more comfortable touring machine.
    Last edited by frankmar; 10-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.