DC:
I pulled the light yellow smugglers box door off of an untouched tub last weekend. I am certain it was absolutely the first time that thing had been removed and it was all original underneath.

Another interesting factoid...I pulled the grey gasket off to clean it etc. and there is light yellow body color paint under the gasket.

I had an early 911 friend pose the question...Is it possible Porsche may have painted certain colors differently in late '72 - '73.

I think Porsche was new to base coat clear coat....especially in Silver and as we know, almost all of the silver cars had paint issues pretty early on. I wonder if the single stage colors were applied in a different manor than the base coat clear coat finishes and one of those resulting differences was how some of the add on pieces were painted. Clearly they didn't put clear down on the inside of the front trunk or the back side of the hood or the backside of the rear decklid etc. Seems they only applied clear where it needed to be shiny

Hopefully folks can post pics of different colored cars to see if this theory has any legs.

I know, I'm grasping......DM