Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail of the Dragon Drive, Mid May...'13

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

Tail of the Dragon Drive, Mid May...'13

I am going to be writing/shooting an article for total911 magazine in late spring. I was asked if I knew of any "great driving roads" by the editor, and if I'd like to write a bit. I figured we should start out with one of the best. (I've heard) I'm hoping to get some help organizing a drive out to the tail of the dragon with some of my fellow 911 owners. I'll be driving out from here in Minnesota to an event in Georgia. I'll either do this before I get to GA, or on the way home. I'm flexible. I would likely camp out in the area the previous night... Anyone live in the area or have any thoughts or would like to come along?

http://tailofthedragon.com/planyourtrip.html

Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Kris, you should do the 555 in Ohio on the way there or back. Zanesville Ohio to Parkersburg W Va. 72 miles of extremely technical rolling terrain with 100's of blind crests. I've driven many roads all over the USA (including the Dragon) and while this doesn't have spectacular scenery, for pure driving fun it might be at the top of the list. We did the entire length non-stop last year and never saw another car!

* map shows the 'extended' 280 mile route all the way to Snowshoe W Va

Name:  Ohio 555.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  104.9 KB
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 01-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.

I can definitely give it a look. If I find several, it could turn into several different articles covering several issues. That looks like a hell of an exhausting drive!!!
    -Kris Clewell

FYI... the Tail, while nicely surfaced and smooth, is largely slow going due to both the sharpness of the turns and the traffic. No runoffs... just trees. Lots of Harleys going nowhere fast and "civilians" driving 30mph. Go see it...check it off your list...but there are better roads out there.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Quote Originally Posted by 767driver View Post
    FYI... the Tail, while nicely surfaced and smooth, is largely slow going due to both the sharpness of the turns and the traffic. No runoffs... just trees. Lots of Harleys going nowhere fast and "civilians" driving 30mph. Go see it...check it off your list...but there are better roads out there.
    I've heard/read. I do however think its worth documenting. I am however very very very interested in finding more "unknown" roads along the way. More so actually... Definitely has to be photogenic though...
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 01-10-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    -Kris Clewell

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    I can definitely give it a look. If I find several, it could turn into several different articles covering several issues. That looks like a hell of an exhausting drive!!!
    Kris, definitely give 555 a try, it's a riot - but I'm beggin' you, please don't write an article about it. It just kills good driving roads. It only encourages yahoos to drive way too fast, outraging the locals, and increases police presence after repeated calls from aforementioned outraged locals. Then the Harleys show up..

The Tail of the Dragon is a perfect example of what happens to a fun road that gets publicized. If you've ever been on a great double yellow road behind 20 Harleys going 30 mph you know what I mean.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Good Driving Roads

DigitalK,

What GA event is beckoning for such a trip? I'm always the last to know anything around here...

You happen to be interested in one of my favorite areas in Western NC. Great roads, great backpacking, hiking, fishing, etc.

The Tail is a must experience, maybe just to say you have done it. What time of day you drive on it though will make all the difference on whether you enjoy it or not. By late morning/mid-day on a weekend it's just a snake of cars with police all over the place. The connecting roads that form the loop in your map above are way more interesting IMO.

The Cherohala Skyway which runs from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains (the bottom of the loop in your map) is a beautiful stretch of asphalt, in the middle of some of the most remote sections of the Appalachians. I've driven the entire length on a weekday without seeing another car on it, and the scenery is spectacular. The Slickrock/Citico Creek Wilderness area to its north and the Snowbird backcountry to its south are very special places if you like to get out in the woods or on a stream.

Camping:
    The Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest spur road is at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway at the NC end. I recommend you find a car camping spot in Horse Cove campground at the bottom of the spur road. Sitting directly on Little Santeetlah Creek, in a narrow cut gorge. No reservations/first come, but you should be able to find something that early in the season regardless. You can always just park at a trailhead and hike in a bit and camp too.

Also, check out the Memorial Forest loop hike if you want to see trees from the good ole days--it's one of the last sections of virgin uncut forest on the East Coast.

Suggestion:
    On your way up or down to 'the Tail' from GA, you can hit some of the gaps in North GA that I describe here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post585741

-Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    DigitalK,

What GA event is beckoning for such a trip? I'm always the last to know anything around here...

You happen to be interested in one of my favorite areas in Western NC. Great roads, great backpacking, hiking, fishing, etc.

The Tail is a must experience, maybe just to say you have done it. What time of day you drive on it though will make all the difference on whether you enjoy it or not. By late morning/mid-day on a weekend it's just a snake of cars with police all over the place. The connecting roads that form the loop in your map above are way more interesting IMO.

The Cherohala Skyway which runs from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains (the bottom of the loop in your map) is a beautiful stretch of asphalt, in the middle of some of the most remote sections of the Appalachians. I've driven the entire length on a weekday without seeing another car on it, and the scenery is spectacular. The Slickrock/Citico Creek Wilderness area to its north and the Snowbird backcountry to its south are very special places if you like to get out in the woods or on a stream.

Camping:
    The Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest spur road is at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway at the NC end. I recommend you find a car camping spot in Horse Cove campground at the bottom of the spur road. Sitting directly on Little Santeetlah Creek, in a narrow cut gorge. No reservations/first come, but you should be able to find something that early in the season regardless. You can always just park at a trailhead and hike in a bit and camp too.

Also, check out the Memorial Forest loop hike if you want to see trees from the good ole days--it's one of the last sections of virgin uncut forest on the East Coast.

Suggestion:
    On your way up or down to 'the Tail' from GA, you can hit some of the gaps in North GA that I describe here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post585741

-Bryce
    Great input. The show I am going to is called Southern Worthersee. It is in Helen GA. Its one of the best shows for the "european and vw tuner" crowd around, and in a cool little town to boot.

http://southernworthersee.com/

It's definitely turning into one of the premier shows. I'm getting a little old for the show all day drink all night thing, but I think I'll manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Kris, definitely give 555 a try, it's a riot - but I'm beggin' you, please don't write an article about it. It just kills good driving roads. It only encourages yahoos to drive way too fast, outraging the locals, and increases police presence after repeated calls from aforementioned outraged locals. Then the Harleys show up..

The Tail of the Dragon is a perfect example of what happens to a fun road that gets publicized. If you've ever been on a great double yellow road behind 20 Harleys going 30 mph you know what I mean.
    Definitely know what you are talking about. We have the ABC roads here south of me in western wisconsin. brilliant roads, but often chock full of harleys and sport bikes.

Maybe I should hold 555 hostage whats it worth to you? haha
    -Kris Clewell

Helen, GA... right in the mix with all the gaps I referred to in the link above. Great time of year to be there!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I live in Central Indiana, and would be interested in a meet up/group drive out. My experience with the dragon echoes that of others. A must do at least once. Really depends on what day of the week you are there and if any car clubs are planning a drive. I think the website has a calendar of organized events. Keep me posted.
    1971 911E