Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: this one will get tongues wagging

Just for you Harvey,

Posted elsewhere so as not to highjack this thread…

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...684#post625684

Hope you're not dragging me in to this Early 911 stuff

Cheers,

That photo doesn't verify anything as to rocker/bumper trim....unless there is an original photo of the car BEFORE it was
    "restored." Look at the photos of the bumper trim! It is later, probably repro, aluminum with 180 degree ends.....not original slightly squared 90 90 degree radiused ends.....And, the rubber inserts are the glued two piece from '69 on...not the single bull nosed end pieces. Very nice car, but God is in the details!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Now I am depressed ...
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Oh, don't be depressed. Ha!

It's a lovely restoration, but that's long wheel base bumper trim.

Nice restorations and circumstances of time have created "history" first in the 356 world and now in the early 911 venue. We all know that the correct original "S" bumper trim is NLA and unless someone is gunning for a PCA Parade division win and willing to spend insane money for the right stuff, they're going to install what is available. Most budgets have a line in the sand. That's just fine. Just don't try to blow smoke up everybody's arse claiming something is is "correct" or original falling back on the old model year transition inconsistancies. The 356 people all know about yellow plating and black fan housings showing up in late '64 and '65 C cars, and look what happened with black trim and the rear bumperetts in the '72-'73 911s.......chrome metal, black metal, black foam rubber!!!! A classic example of time compressing history and creating "originality" are the Hickock seat belts with the round Porsche crests on the buckles that appeared in 1967. US dealers bought them up and installed them in '67-'68 cars to meet new DOT standards. A 356 owner wanders into the dealer, sees the belts in the parts department and buys them for his 356.........30 years later these are now pronounced as "factory original" for 356s!!! Somebody found them in a car he bought or is restoring...so this makes them original!! The same with scenario with SWB rocker trim...the stuff got replaced by a dealer doing repair or an owner at the time who liked the new look...or visa versa the dealer had left over earlier trim and put it on a later repair. It happened. The '72-'73 black trim and bumperette deal opens up the door for this confusion, but the fact remains that the factory seldom crossed up trim appointments between model years as sales department policy, and the later we go in production years the less customization was done....unless one had serious horse power and "knew someone." Bottom line on originality....talk to the original owner or show me photos of the car "back in the day." A nice shiney restoration can create history not necessarily reflect it.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    That photo doesn't verify anything as to rocker/bumper trim....unless there is an original photo of the car BEFORE it was
    "restored." Look at the photos of the bumper trim! It is later, probably repro, aluminum with 180 degree ends.....not original slightly squared 90 90 degree radiused ends.....And, the rubber inserts are the glued two piece from '69 on...not the single bull nosed end pieces. Very nice car, but God is in the details!
    post # 37 looks like original rubber on the front deco & possibly the rear too. This is a b/4 picture I think! Fantastic car nonetheless
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Went back and looked at post #37 photo. Yes, looks like original SWB S bumper trim. Wonder what happened to it. The aluminum can be re-anodized...it's the rubber insert that's the hard part. I was able to purchase a twenty foot piece of the extrusion from the manufacturer, and I'm working on getting the correct end finish for the SWB cars. It's not moulded as many assumed. It was cut back and pressed down against the end of the trim....the reason the center channel on the aluminum is hooked down. You see all the old hardened original stuff pulled away from the aluminum at the ends. That's why the factory went with the two piece stuff on the LWB cars...it stayed in place.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    As I miss english vocabulary :

C'est une superbe voiture, une voiture que l'on a envie de conduite une seconde ou 10 heures. Une couleur intemporelle, ne creant aucun choc visuel ete comme hiver.
    ou tout simplement : Quelle caisse !

Ps : I do not care the right or wrong stuff - Pleasure only counts - I own a backdate
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    ..it's the rubber insert that's the hard part.
    The knowledge on this registry amazes me. Not easy to be perfect but don't we all aspire to.
    This registry is the world reference. Even the factory currently can't match with their restorations.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 02-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Certainly beautiful & looks like superlative work.

This comment is not made other than to try to determine the accuracy of factory notes/records. The 2nd design hinten deckel (rear engine lid) , and associated grill is notated as being installed per 911S coupe no. 0379 - forward. Do you know for certain the earlier style was originally installed on this example in the original build ? As per the factory , it was not suppose to have been.

It is very close to the notated cut-off . I suppose there can always be a few exceptions......is this one ?