Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A gal named Elsie and her little Tornado...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Gorden,

I aked the same thing a while ago to a '73 4 speed owner.........

This page out of my '73 parts book....

4 speed on the left, 5 speed in the center, and Sporto on the right......... Tornado looks stock
    Thanks, Chuck! ..... Couple of issues.... The shifter is pretty "sloppy". I don't mean this in a derogatory way, it just is compared to what I'm used to... I would like to tighten this up a bit and have been thinking of some "Short Shift" options. Would this trans still be a 915, even with a 4-speed? I was looking at the Hargett shifter (because it looks AWESOME and it attaches to the stock bolts for the parking brake.) But if there are other options you have found to repair (upgrade?) the stock shifter and make it better, I would like suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

I'd replace all of your shift bushings first.
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

4SFED, just read your thread. Good for you!

Re: short shift on a 915, don't bother IMO. I've done it both ways, and the stock shifter is better, to me. You really don't want to rush the synchros anyway.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Thanks, Jason and Bill!

I've received my new fuel filter and oil filter today.... should be able to start the car this weekend. One other question:

I'm new to the whole Dry Sump thing. Should I drain the oil and change it BEFORE I start up for the first time (in 5+ years)??? Just not sure about how long it takes the sump to get oil to the crankcase on startup and thought it might be better to have "some" oil in there in stead of none for the first couple seconds.... Thoughts?

Name:  IMG_5454.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  194.2 KB
    Jake
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)

member #1515
    Absolutely, Dry sump or not after 5 years the oil is trash. Just do a complete oil and filter change and start it . Sorry I haven't followed the thread, did you ever pull the plugs and shoot some oil in to make sure you have free rings and some lube in the cylinders?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    Before you start changing stuff, drive the car. What you describe as a sloppy gearshift might be normal. These cars are a bit different. In comparison to most cars , the throw is pretty long between gears on 901 and 915 boxes.
    Last edited by RSTarga; 11-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

My favorite description of how my 915 gearbox would feel was "vague"...it's definitely a learned behavior when it comes to using it (but it's second nature now)...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks, David... Yes, I have pulled the plugs and spayed a small amount of Motorkote in the cylinders. I like Motorkote because it comes in a spray can now (and I'm lazy like that).
    Jake

Drain the oil, Jake. All of it. The tank and the case.

And don't overfill it afterwards. Put about 8.5-9 quarts in for starters.

BTW, that pic of your car is very sweet. Great story!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    Thanks, David... Yes, I have pulled the plugs and spayed a small amount of Motorkote in the cylinders. I like Motorkote because it comes in a spray can now (and I'm lazy like that).
    How do you know how much oil or in your case Motorkote to spray into the cylinders?
    Scott