Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Our Slate Grey/ Red 67S is done and on a truck to Texas....

We have removed the car from our website and we will no longer be representing it. We do not know what the owner/seller plans to do with it at this time.

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    I give this thread another page before same thing happens
    just a few more posts left before this page fills up...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

This car was Magnus' car before being bought by Tim and Julie Harris.

It came to us for something (I can't recall what, exactly) having just been upholstered by Tony at Autobahn. But when we removed the sound pad we found that the package tray had been pop-riveted into place, and the rear seat tubs had been layered with foam (under the carpet) to cover the rust. We alerted the owner to this - something he would have never known because Tony upholstered right over everything and took the owner's money - and he elected to have us disassemble the car for a "full-house restoration" by John Esposito and his crew.

I can't recall how long it took them to do the work, but after they were done the car came back to us and we assembled the mechanicals and electrical. We did some cosmetic work to the engine, restored the suspension and brakes, and blah blah blah.

Then the car went away, and came back with a hit list of stuff from Dirk Layer and his friends.

We attended to the list and then the car went away on a truck, never to be seen again by us.

It showed up for sale in Monterey and was purchased by Will Sanchez who kept it in AZ for a few years before, I believe, giving it to his ex-wife in a divorce settlement.

She, in turn, gave the car to Paul who, well, stopped representing it because of the rapid physical deterioration of the body/paint work after a short amount of time.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I found the engine block for this car back in the 2000s, it was in a big bumper car parts car. I know the owner then, he sold it to Magnus as a unrestored basket case project with a TON of excellent spare parts not much of which did not make it on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    I found the engine block for this car back in the 2000s, it was in a big bumper car parts car. I know the owner then, he sold it to Magnus as a unrestored basket case project with a TON of excellent spare parts not much of which did not make it on the car.
    Just to clarify Mark's point. He found the current engine in the car, which is 29 numbers off of the original engine. Who knows if the original engine exists anymore. I believe Tim looked for it a while and even posted a WTB ad here on the registry.

Somehow, the car was believed to be advertised as numbers matching by Rick Cole auction. I believe there is also some legal action taking place regarding the misrepresentation of the engine number.

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Pop rivets?!? And to think Magnus’ name was being used originally to talk the value up when it went to auction. i had to keep after Tim to have the auction house take Dirk’s name off the description as Dirk wasn’t blessing the car. Rick Cole kept saying they would but it took them a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Pop rivets?!? And to think Magnus’ name was being used originally to talk the value up when it went to auction. i had to keep after Tim to have the auction house take Dirk’s name off the description as Dirk wasn’t blessing the car. Rick Cole kept saying they would but it took them a long time.
    I’m not shocked to see Magnus’ name attached to the car for a value increase; rather, that kind of thing is expected, these days.

I was, however, shocked to find out that an upholsterer of repute would just cover that kind of thing up without informing the client...

FWIW, the car was originally brought to us to “lightly hotrod” and sort, and then the decision was made to pivot into a concours restoration, mid-restoration. We did not want to be involved in a concours project and, as a result, this car was very much a thorn in my side. I was glad when it was finished and drove into the truck.
    -Marco

A cautionary tale for sure.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I’m not shocked to see Magnus’ name attached to the car for a value increase; rather, that kind of thing is expected, these days.

I was, however, shocked to find out that an upholsterer of repute would just cover that kind of thing up without informing the client...

FWIW, the car was originally brought to us to “lightly hotrod” and sort, and then the decision was made to pivot into a concours restoration, mid-restoration. We did not want to be involved in a concours project and, as a result, this car was very much a thorn in my side. I was glad when it was finished and drove into the truck.
    Do you know for a fact that Tony did not inform the owner of the car at the time about the pop rivets and rust? I could see the owner saying ok Tony just cover it up.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Do you know for a fact that Tony did not inform the owner of the car at the time about the pop rivets and rust? I could see the owner saying ok Tony just cover it up.
    Unless Tim was feigning shock and surprise when I delivered the news, no, Tony at Autobahn didn’t tell him.
    -Marco