Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Mongrel Street Racer

Painting……..it all wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    Paint
    Car finished in Porsche 018 Tangerine. Custom deep orange Porsche script and bumper stripes
    Satin black to under body, engine bay, under hood and complete interior to include the backs
    of doors, bonnet and engine lid. Satin black to extend into door shuts
    No underseal
    A frustrating time since the Mongrel came home…..progress has been a big fat zero as busy work demands in the bodyshop has meant the fun stuff has to take a back seat…

Paint is my favourite time as I can watch progress on an hourly basis. When we painted my first early 911 project we spent a lot of time trying to get the factory type details correct, things turned out pretty good….

…the Mongrel on the other hand is going to be so, so wrong and done 'my' way!

Now this won't be to everyone's liking so I thought I'd share a few photos for the purists out there and show that we can do it right.

It was never the plan to start painting early 911's on a commercial basis, still isn't, however a few people on DDK liked the integrity that went into my 2.4E and asked if I'd help on their projects. As these projects were so much fun I just couldn't resist...

2.2S Targa

Richard Murphy's beautiful 2.2S Targa…..

2.2S Targa

….

Richard Murphy is doing a fabulous job with his restoration, perfectly restoring what's required whilst maintaining a subtle degree of patina. Really is outstanding work, you can view his progress here.. http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=37364

Last edited by Darren65; 02-23-2014 at 04:57 AM.

2.4T Coupe...

As much as I like metallic green Targa's what really floats my boat is orange coupe's, so when Richard Huckle asked if we'd do the same to his 1972 project we were more than happy to help…

…..

2.4T Coupe...

…I think this shell is the most delicious I've ever seen …although fairly rotten at the start, it was pure, straight, untouched and unmolested, Barry commented that a welder had never been near it….sure does look pretty now. Richard Huckle is one lucky guy, you can catch his restoration thread here… http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=40656

I'm currently looking after Richard's shell which puts me in the unique position of having three early 911's to feast my eyes upon….one fully restored, a painted shell and a car in bare metal…..early 911 Heaven!

That's my paint fix for today taken care of, hopefully I'll be able to report back soon when the Mongrel doesn’t look quite so naked!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 02-26-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    . . . I decided this car was not going to be any one 'thing' . . . however wanting the car to remain a pretty period build I set myself a fictional criteria that the car was a hot rod built in 1978, anything that could have been done up to that date was a possibility and no other rules apply! . . .

. . . One thing it has to be though, and that's orange! . . .
    Hmmm . . .

Orange, huh?

Well --- a bit earlier than your criteria --- this is ~'69 . . . but this is what I think of when things get 'orange' . . .

Meanwhile --- enjoy your choices! . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hmmm . . .

Orange, huh?

Well --- a bit earlier than your criteria --- this is ~'69 . . . but this is what I think of when things get 'orange' . . .

Meanwhile --- enjoy your choices! . . .

That works for me Rick …….

……nothing wrong with a fat rear end but give me skinny, clean and simple all the way!

Btw…what's with the join on the sill?

The lightweight cars are not lead loaded in the joints Darren.