Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heritage Design Package orange bar crest

I suspect it reflects the amount of UV exposure of the individual badges more than any other reason. Could have been slight pigmentation differences in large batches of production over the years.

There is an apparent difference in early badges vs the very late badges just before the change to the translucent enamel where the coloring does seem to have been a conscious change from more of an orange to red/orange or ‘red’.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

thanks for your response
    the two probably came off of 1970,1971 or 1972 cars that i had rebuilt

Lightbulb

Not sure which is what guys... but this is new 'Early' badge they had displayed at the Woodland Hills CA dealership today...

Didn't take a pic of the full display, but to the left was a 'new' 356 (orange bar) badge, and to the right was 3 more 911/? versions ending with the super high-tech one that's on the new cars...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I think that's a good-looking badge...looks very nice....is the "pebbly" parts up to the expert's scrutiny?...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

i am no expert
    the pebbles are too big and relatively too orderly
    if you look at the right lower part of the crest
    the top row is "single file"
    Original had two rows where there is currently this single file.

The crest from Chuck is the „new orange bar“ crest, order number
    xxx xxx xxx 27

It can be identified by the small „sternum“
    of the horse and the slightly visable vertical lines in the area behind the horse.
    See in comparison the 27 I had posted…

As i have it mounted on my 997 some years of aquiring a patina are ahead…

enjoy…

ps: i had not yet posted the black hub cap version…here we go
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Also look at both the PORSCHE letters and the pebbles at the top on the one Chuck posted v Haul's (as well as the STUTTGART) compared to mine here
    Name:  badge 1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  104.1 KB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

This is the badge off of the car I am building....
    I am wondering if I should send this out to be refinished or buy the new badge.
    looking at above posted picture with the large pebbles. I have reduced the size to actual size and the badge looks much better. (So, maybe just do this new one)
    Name:  car.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  236.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN1840[1].jpg
Views: 91
Size:  30.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I suspect it reflects the amount of UV exposure of the individual badges more than any other reason. Could have been slight pigmentation differences in large batches of production over the years.

There is an apparent difference in early badges vs the very late badges just before the change to the translucent enamel where the coloring does seem to have been a conscious change from more of an orange to red/orange or ‘red’.
    Today I had a talk to a goldsmith, who is also en expert since 45 years for emaille.
    According to his knowledge the color of the emaille will never change, even not by steady UV exposure. The glas melting point is too high to change the structural behaviour and creating a different hue of color in time.

The major reason for color changes are small changes in the recipe of the mixture, if some elements are no longer available or even forbidden by new environemental laws. We should compare it to our paint mixtures, which are undergoing slight changes over the year, creating slight varieties in the hue.

Furtheron some companies got new suppliers, also resulting in different hues of the overall result.
    the transparent emaille does not behave different than the “massive” color….

all in all, the reason are just different batches of material in the making of the hood crest.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Well, I don’t agree with his assessment. I’ve seen way to many badges where the orange is thoroughly washed out to a pale pinkish-orange.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586