Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom, gloom and bursting bubble

Doom, gloom and bursting bubble

What say ye of little faith? The week is over! Consensus?

A bubble that inflates to huge size and then bursts is the best thing for the cars.

As the bubble grows, people search barns, junkyards, bake sales, and at the bottom of lakes for cars and relictual pieces of cars. Then, they rebuild or restore them to a high level of quality (because: "they are worth money"). Molds and stamping dies are recreated to restore the increasing population of salvaged wrecks. A collateral negative effect of course is that the owners change from people who care about the cars to people who care about money.

Finally, the bubble bursts and the cars are then sold to people who actually care about them as cars. As the value of the cars falls, they begin to be driven again. This makes the cars happy.

Based on the actual sales...business as usual. Nothing extraordinarily high or low in terms of sale price. It would appear that the market is slightly less frothy, but demand is still there for nice cars.

There were a few sales that raised an eyebrow. Example, 89 Speedsters....less than 5k on the ODO and its a near $300k car. 94 Speedsters are entering into the near $200k range (should of bought one last year for less than $100k..stupid me)

On the non-Porsche front the Ferrari 308/ 328s are rapidly increasing in value. Days of 'affordable' 308/ 328s are coming to an end. I can't understand why these haven't become unobtainium already...
    Last edited by Louie; 08-18-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Based on the actual sales...business as usual. Nothing extraordinarily high or low in terms of sale price. It would appear that the market is slightly less frothy, but demand is still there for nice cars.

There were a few sales that raised an eyebrow. Example, 89 Speedsters....less than 5k on the ODO and its a near $300k car. 94 Speedsters are entering into the near $200k range (should of bought one last year for less than $100k..stupid me)
    These, I do not understand. No soul.

A Speedster should be a 356.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    These, I do not understand. No soul.

A Speedster should be a 356.
    Have you driven one? I love my 964 Speedster - light, fast, comfortable, rare, interesting (at least to me) and reliable to boot.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I love the 89s and the 94s..
    .....the 2011 Speedster...totally lost the plot. Big heavy girl.

The 94 is interesting in that it has ROW RS parts. The 89 Speedster has all Turbo parts with the exception of the motor.

Drive either and you will appreciate these cars.

There was a 89 with 1300 miles that sold for $330 with buyers premium!

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post

On the non-Porsche front the Ferrari 308/ 328s are rapidly increasing in value. Days of 'affordable' 308/ 328s are coming to an end. I can't understand why these haven't become unobtainium already...
    Well, they made 12,000 308s almost all of which led sheltered lives. More than 6000 of the 328. So really, they are not that rare even now. The early fibreglass ones are rarer than 911 RS models, but that's about it for rarity.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I've driven them all. Yes, they are nice cars but not $200,000 nice.

IMHO, a Speedster is still a 356 and there was only one original Speedster.

I'll toss in my "due liri" - I owned both a 1978 308 and a 348 (forgot the year). The 308 was as beautiful as they come and I still love the looks but slow, bog slow. Crappy, stiff gearbox. Yes I know, the gated shifter is a religous experience for some but still not a great joy to shift.

The 348 was just a plain piece of $hit. Period. I've never hated a car like that and rue my stupidity in buying it. When Montezemolo returned to Ferrari even he said a 348 is crap. I've only had two cars ever break down - one was the 348 and the other was a 1978 Ford Fiesta. I still think the Fiesta was a better car.

I wish I was smarter as I should have bought a garage full of long hoods.
    David

1972 911T Targa
    1993 964 RSA #14
    Early S Registry #1799
    PAID MEMBER 2016-17

I had a 348 and couldn't agree more.