Thread: deposits on fan housing

deposits on fan housing

Hi to all,
    Since my welding skills are not improving as quickly as I had hoped, I worked on cleaning parts over the weekend. I use a typical Northern Tool made in China parts cleaner updated with a pump that works and a fluid filter. The fluid is the Simple Green water based Extreme Precision Aircraft cleaner mixed 50/50 with distilled water that rinses residue free. It is certified for use on aircraft, engines, all metals, alloys and plastics. It works very well for a water-based cleaner. I washed the fan housing in it, scrubbed it, and then rinsed in fresh, running water. The next day I had what seems to be small deposits on the metal, like grains of sand. The deposited stuff washes off easily in water. This doesn't happen with steel parts. Is the fan housing magnesium alloy? even so, it should wash OK in this fluid. Anybody know what is happening?

I am going to do the valve covers and other aluminum / magnesium alloy parts, but I want to want to see if this is a normal thing with old parts.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Check on simple green. Not sure how it is related to your product. I think I remember reading somewhere that it (SG) is distinctly not recommended for aluminum, magnesium may be the same.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Thanks for the reply. I did check on this. The extreme precision / aircraft cleaner is certified on aluminum and magnesium and has a Boeing certification as well for washing airplanes. This is why I am puzzled. I want to leave the fan housing and valve covers "as is" and not paint or powder coat. But the deposits look bad.

Curious. You know about Gibbs I assume? The finish it produces isn't beautiful but is much better than the blotchy appearance of magnesium as it ages.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by jameshtaylor View Post
    Curious. You know about Gibbs I assume? The finish it produces isn't beautiful but is much better than the blotchy appearance of magnesium as it ages.
    +1 on this. Gibbs for this application is excellent.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Simple Green is bad for aluminum. They do though make a bike cleaner that is just fine with aluminum.

Name:  Simple Green.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  62.4 KB

Most good bike shops carry it. You can also get it on Amazon.com

Richard Newton
    Car Tech Stuff

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Mag surfaces get dry with cleaning. They need to be hydrated with some kind of lubricant. I just use a good quality penetrating oil. Gibbs is probably better. They soak in and preserve surface from corrosion. Gled