Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deep six thread

deep six thread

Is there one that lists the part numbers that transition from the 5.5x15s to the 6x15s? And the reasons for the hearts vs non hearts?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

I had a very early 69E (#11) for a while that had fuchs with 5 1/2 & 6" parts numbers on them, so some of the first deep sixes were going to be 5 1/2's originally.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Reason I ask is that I have an 11/68 heart that I presumed to be a 6x15...maybe I should check it out more closely.

Thanks

Speedo
    registry# 1283

11/68 could be either, but if you can see part numbers you should be able to see the size. That's too late for any type of transition wheel. Part numbers are posted somewhere, but I think early 6's ended in .06

Yes, the 5.5's end in .04 and the deep sixes end in .06 There is a thread somewhere that covers everything regarding fuchs. Nobody knows more about fuchs than Harvey Weidman, and if he sees this, he can clear up any confusion. I have a deep six that may have been one of the earliest wheels as it has the numbers ground off, which if I recall correctly, the earliest ones didn't have part numbers probably due to the fact that they were made from a different size rim and would have had the wrong numbers on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by 68912 View Post
    11/68 could be either, but if you can see part numbers you should be able to see the size. That's too late for any type of transition wheel. Part numbers are posted somewhere, but I think early 6's ended in .06

well mine had both part numbers and sizes, one of the part numbers was rubber stamped like the R wheels, I'll see if I can dig up thread. I pinged Harvey at the time and he had seen a few wheels marked like this.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.
    The heart VS non heart; The "heart" was on all early wheels until the 71 MY when it was machined off to designate some final machining changes. So some of the very early 71 MY cars had both heart and non heart.
    The 5.5X15 was produced well into 71 for replacement and possibly for the 914/6. So the early 6X15 didn't replace the 5.5...there was no "transition"....
    It wasn't until later that the 4.5 was superseded to the 5.5...Then eventually the 5.5 was superseded to the 6 and again to the 3 prong "flat" 6 then replaced with the "ring" flat 6.
    The center forging tool is the same for all early 15" Fuchs. There was removable numbers depending on what width was made.
    So you can see the potential for mis-stamping numbers and the grinding off wrong numbers and adding the ink stamp when caught in time.
    HTH
    H

heart transition or not

So Harvey, I get that they were still producing 5.5s even after they started with the 6s. What are the earliest date stamps you are aware of on the 6s?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

where are all the date / wheel codes located on the wheel