Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Tag 67S Special Order Colour

Paint Tag 67S Special Order Colour

Hi,

I need some ideas as what to stamp on my new paint tag.

I've purchased a replacement tag and now ready to fit once stamped, problem is the original was missing when car was purchased.

The details of the car are:

Chassis 307606S
    Exterior Special order, Green-Paint Code 9802 Green

As the car was supplied from the factory in 67 in special order paint shall I use 9802 as per the COA? Also as in the picture below from another RHD 67S there are some addictional numbers either side of the paint code and I'm unsure what these are?

Do I add something also?

Name:  thumbs_dscn0307[1].jpg
Views: 429
Size:  33.1 KB

Any advice help appreciated

Garry
    Kind Regards

Garry
    www.classicfx.net

Hi Garry

The 'number' on the right of your picture is probably an 'L' for the paint manufacturer.

I always thought that '9' on the left signified 'factory painted'. I'm not sure why that tag has '97', others will no doubt reveal the meaning.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Thanks Mike,

So I'm looking at 9? 9802 L possibly
    Kind Regards

Garry
    www.classicfx.net

Possibly........

I would wait for other replies to firm up the details exactly. It is a special order colour after all. There may be differences for that.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Restoration newbie.
    L for Lesonal
    G for Glasurit
    maybe others...

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The 97 refers is a reference to the high temperature baking process of the paint and the L is as described above.

But yes, you have a bit of a dilemma to figure out what was originally on the badge. In 69 for example, Porsche would use a single four digit number to designate multiple special colors. Sometimes the kardexes would give a hint as to what the specific color was, sometimes not.

For 67, you need someone like davep on this forum to weigh in and you should try to see the kardex for this car as it may shed some light. Worth the investment IMO, if you have to pay for it given the one of nature of this car (RHD special order color)
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    The 97 refers is a reference to the high temperature baking process of the paint and the L is as described above.
    Now I've never heard of that before and to be frank I'm going to find it hard to believe unless evidence is produced.

Other paint tags I've seen don't have the same '97' with the 'L' and you would have thought all paint made by Lesonal would have similar properties.

However, I always have an open mind and you could convince me as I know very little about paint.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

I would not trust the CoA 100%. Talk to Dave and check the Kardex. I also have a car with a non standard color. On this car the paint tag and Kardex code is identical.

Just guessing, but if your green is part of the Porsche color system even if it is no doubt very special, then maybe the code on the tag is similar to standard cars?

On my other car the Kardex says agablau 6608 B, tag 97 6608 L

Good luck!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    Now I've never heard of that before and to be frank I'm going to find it hard to believe unless evidence is produced.

Other paint tags I've seen don't have the same '97' with the 'L' and you would have thought all paint made by Lesonal would have similar properties.

However, I always have an open mind and you could convince me as I know very little about paint.

Regards
    Mike
    Believe, my friend!

From B 102 in factory repair manual

Name:  Snap1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  77.8 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hi Beh911,
    do you know the color code for Olive green which was used, so I can put the correct number on the paint tag of my 68 S

- twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car