Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching Numbers

Matching Numbers

In about a week I'm going to make a 5 hour drive to go look at a 1969 911t that is for sale. The owner supplied me with a Vin #119121269 and engine #6195751. He has the original invoice from '69 that states:
    options 5-speed
    antenna,speaker
    chrome wheels 5,5x15
    colored windscreen
    rubbers on bumper horns
    My question is without a COA or kardex is there any way to verify that the engine belongs to that chassis. It doesn't really mater to me as I'm looking for something to drive and not obsess over but I know it can greatly effect value and I'd just like to be able to make a informed purchase.
    Thank You very Much Forrest

My question is without a COA or kardex is there any way to verify that the engine belongs to that chassis.
    Not really Forrest....

However, (a BIG however) your engine number is consistent with your VIN as a '69T U.S. delivered Karmann coupe - Engine type 901/16

It's a VERY good chance it's the engine that came with the car..... But you can't be 100% sure without the paperwork...

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks. I thought that would be the answer, but I knew it wouldn't hurt to ask the informed.

Like Chuck said, pretty good bet it is original to the car.

Car #119121270, 1 VIN later, has engine 6195749
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Like Chuck said, pretty good bet it is original to the car.

Car #119121270, 1 VIN later, has engine 6195749
    The amount of knowledge on this site and access to information is amazing.

Does not his original invoice have the engine and trans numbers on it?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Or look in the glove box or ask to see the Red service booklet supplied with every car. Many times the original dealer will enter the Vin# and engine # as there are spaces for those entries. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Banned
    Run Forrest, Run!

Sounds like a great opportunity. Let us know how it turns out.

If you have the correct VIN then its ezzie!

This is what I normally do (but not always):

First you add the numbers 911 to the end of the vin #, then multiply the first 5 numbers x 7, then use that total and eliminate the 3rd and 6th number and divide that total by 1.8999. The number that you get should be somewhere in the range of infinite calculations, to hopefully (in a chance of 1 billion to 1) be the number your looking for!

Good luck...... this calculation has really never worked for me but I was told it might someday!

KJ

Quote Originally Posted by gumby1953 View Post
    If you have the correct VIN then its ezzie!

This is what I normally do (but not always):

First you add the numbers 911 to the end of the vin #, then multiply the first 5 numbers x 7, then use that total and eliminate the 3rd and 6th number and divide that total by 1.8999. The number that you get should be somewhere in the range of infinite calculations, to hopefully (in a chance of 1 billion to 1) be the number your looking for!

Good luck...... this calculation has really never worked for me but I was told it might someday!

KJ
    That is the same math I use,when I don't get the numbers I want I just change them to get the answers I need.

The current owner will let me dig through all the paper work when I get to him. Although the numbers I am asking about might be on the invoice I'm just trying to educate myself rather than making a wild assumption in the excitement of the moment. Did I mention that this will be my first Porsche I'm making the drive with cash in my pocket and a trailer in tow. I'm buying it as an enthusiast as I want to use it for what it is a sporty classic to drive. Thanks again for all the help.