Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 VIN #s on a 71 S targa

2 VIN #s on a 71 S targa

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/1971-P...orcev4exp=true

Spotted on flea bay, seems to not all be quite correct, door serial # one digit different from front trunk tag, door tag says build date of 7/70 but has a 71 serial #, also has a 70 glove box, has a low # engine, but should there be 53 "S" engines produced by the 22nd or 23 "S" car produced. No picture of smugglers box area vin #, and ad says has COA but no picture of it. Seems to be off somehow.

I bet the VIN in the trunk that isn't pictured is 22. This detail allowed them to "round down" and sell the car as #22.

Unreal

Name:  image-37.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  image-44.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  100.9 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

WESJS....good catch!!!!!!
    I've inspected the car THROUGHLY and the numbers on the "A" pillar, trunk tag,engine and smugglers box all match the COA. The door jam sticker appears to be authentic, but it could be a very good repro {I've seen some that our members make...REALLY GOOD} and somebody just got the number wrong..... Although interestingly just one digit off. I don't have a explanation...I believe the labels were not installed at the factory back in the day, but installed at the various ports of entry into the US. It's possible somebody had a extra beer at lunch that day and maybe a little dyslexic...and installed the wrong label. Probably there is another car running around mismatched as well!!!! As a matter of fact...I never even caught it until is was brought to my attention.
    I've seen so many cars that have had repairs where the label is damaged, painted over, or not even present. Euro cars don't have anything like it.

This is a very early production '71. Probably they were still using parts that were left from the 1970 MY production run. This car is very original and un-molested Targa except for the repaint..
    I wish I could say more, but if anyone has any other thoughts, Id like to know about them.

Thanks Ron Barnaba

beh911....Yup....it is "22". I'll try and get a picture posted...I really wish I knew how this happened..

R

Good to know the car is as advertised, I had not previously heard of '71 production done prior to the August shut down and factory holiday, does anyone have more info on this. I also have a 0291 VIN# on a '70T and would appreciate any info on when it might have been produced. I have the COA no date listed. I also have another '70T euro VIN 2533 that is supposedly 13 #s from the end of '70 production any idea when it was produced??

I have my doubts about any 71MY being mfg. in July 1970 but I guess since 70 and 71MY were almost identical something could have happened
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Hm

12th --- or 13th . . . '71 'S' Targa off the line = early production

'. . . built before the August holidays . . .' = veeeery interesting

I'd contact The Faktory + Arkives and try to find out more

And any details about The Story? . . . where'd it come from, who/what/where/etc-etc-etc?

We Can Be Heroes

lol... from a dealer no doubt..lol haha wtf?

This may seem dubious to some here , but I had a 74' with the same issue. Please tell me that it is common knowledge That DOT stickers were applied by W - 2 employees.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

The DOT door decal already being suspect with the incorrect VIN, I wouldn't hesitate to doubt the build date listed on it either. Obviously an early MY 71 build, one could narrow the month down by comparing other early 71 VINs.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586