Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about 1969 dash bits

Questions about 1969 dash bits

I believe this car was originally delivered to Germany and appears to have the remnants of ROW knobs, that is without the plastic pics and rubber bumpers on the knobs. Can anyone confirm what knobs should be on the car?

The car does not have fog lights. Would you recommend putting a switch in the dash now to fill the hole or insert the plug? If the plug, does anyone have a part number? I've searched the parts catalog, Stoddard and SMC and can't find the number.

What goes in the hole to the right of the steering wheel? Webasto heater switch? Should this be covered by the aluminum and basketweave insert?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  81.1 KB

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

Ron,

I'll try to answer all your questions;

You're correct in your assumption with regards to the switches, they are the straight plastic without any rubber surrounds or symbols. Depending on the build date of your car, it would either have come with black plastic bezels or chrome.

Your hazard light switch will have a large red lense, and is a one year only part. The rear window defroster switch will have a red light tube ( nail polish works great for restoring the color) and fogs would have had a green light tube.

If you considering putting in fogs, or even driving lights in the future I'd fit the switch now, whilst you have easy access.

The plug for the hole is NLA and you'll have to put a WTB add in the usual places......

The hole to the right of your steering wheel would be for an optional accessory, you would need the COA to confirm what it was. As you said it didn't have fogs fitted I'd say your assumption is correct and it was for a gas heater. The aluminium trim will cover it, if you descide to leave it blank.

Lovely gauges by the way, NHS?

If you need more detailed photos, I can snap a few of my ROW 69?

We love pictures here, so please post some more of your car.

Hope that helps?
    Tony

Thanks Tony! I'll post some pics soon.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw

Ron,

a brochure pic to show what Tony is saying
    PM your e mail if you want a bigger pic

HTH
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by rdelmendo View Post

What goes in the hole to the right of the steering wheel? Webasto heater switch? Should this be covered by the aluminum and basketweave insert?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Either a webasto heater switch or a second set of auxiliary lights if ordered so from the factory. Below is a period road test photo from 69, showing the webasto switch. No rubber surrounds on RoW cars

Name:  1969-porsche-911e-coupe-interior-photo-550061-s-986x603.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  102.8 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Ron,

I got a chance to snap a few photos for you to better see what i was trying to say.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tony

My car is a ROW RHD so ignore the order of my switches.

The fog light switch if installed should be closest to the driver, with the rear defrost being the most farthest from the drivers position.

You can see that my car has the chrome surrounds, I've seen other 69ers with plastic surrounds, but they have all had early build dates.

They all had the S appearance package, as does yours by the looks.

Hope that helps
    Tony

Thanks guys, great info. Oh and Tony, yes, the gauges were done by NHS.

Here are the knobs and bezels as taken off the car.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  150.7 KB

Thanks for confirming the bits I need to find.

Interesting aside, it appears tht the aux hole to the right of the steering column was used based on the patina on the basketweave insert. Whatever switch was in there is now long gone so I'm covering it up with the insert.

Two more questions on the 1969 ROW:
    1. Did ROW get the second manufacturers plate on the driver door jamb?
    2. Does anyone have creative ideas on how to fix the broken emergency switch stalk. Yes, I know how rare these are so I've given up trying to find a replacement. Perhaps using a lathe to machine a stalk to graft on with JB Weld? Anything other than sticking the broken switch back in the new dash.

Thanks again for all the help!
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw

No manufactures plate in the door jamb, just the paint tag.

Lathe is your best option, but you will still be missing the red lense. Although the switch itself is unique to the 69 for wiring, it is the same look as 68 so you could get lucky if your switch is OK.
    Tony

It looks like Stoddards have a nice looking repo of the dash plug available.

http://www.stoddard.com/sic-552-881-20.html
    Tony