Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Rare ELEPHANT HIDE Sport Seats, Door Panels, Dash Inserts and Toolbag from '68

Very Rare ELEPHANT HIDE Sport Seats, Door Panels, Dash Inserts and Toolbag from '68

Very Rare, Limited Production Elephant Hide Sport Seats, Door Panels (no speaker cut-outs), Dash Inserts and Tool Bag from '68.

Based on my research (done here on the early S registry), Elephant Hide was offered for early '68 models for a few short months.

I have never even seen another set of these, they should almost be in a museum.

$12,500
    Or Best Offer

Thanks for looking1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    Last edited by DR911S; 04-10-2015 at 06:57 AM.

WOW....absolutely beautiful.

Very nice pieces

The door card dates show Sept 21 1967.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one...

Bolsters are not in any original perforated Porsche vinyl that I've ever seen. Wasn't 68 the first year for headrest provision? Also, Porsche wasn't the only Marque to use a heavy elephant hide vinyl in the late 60s/ early 70s.

I think it more likely that they've been recovered to match a 68 car with elephant hide. Normally I wouldn't comment on others' pricing but, asking price is putting a 10k premium for two vinyl inserts.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

to answer 70SATMan, the early '68 seats did not come with headrests. the headrests early in the year were the same as the '66 headrests (mounted to the back of the seat). somewhere toward december/january, they changed seats to have the holes in the top of the seatback, and the seats could either have headrests, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Well, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one...

Bolsters are not in any original perforated Porsche vinyl that I've ever seen. Wasn't 68 the first year for headrest provision? Also, Porsche wasn't the only Marque to use a heavy elephant hide vinyl in the late 60s/ early 70s.

I think it more likely that they've been recovered to match a 68 car with elephant hide. Normally I wouldn't comment on others' pricing but, asking price is putting a 10k premium for two vinyl inserts.
    Are you saying that you have a set of these early sport seats, without headrests and with elephant skin vinyl, along with two nice door panels, and most of the dash pieces, from what I can see, only missing the ash tray and maybe it is here too but not photographed: All for a price of 12,000.00? I do not think so. But I am a skeptic too. I knew of another early seat. Only one... I owned it. It had the same vinyl both the elephant skin as well as the close perforated. I currently have a very nice set of Original standard 68 seats, with tootsie roll headrests and yes with elephant skin inserts, along with a pair of door panels with the special not so desirable holes for speakers, and some of the dash pieces. If there was another car manufacture, furniture manufactuer, etc. who used this vinyl??? I have yet to find it. It imight be out there but it is not easy to locate. Do you have some hanging around?
    Really, these pieces including the set of sport seats, dash pieces and door panels for sale here will absolutely make and set apart the 68 S or L for which they are purchased. I myself think that this is a wonderful offering. I can hardly wait to see what else is offered by this person. I hope to see the car that is paired with this interior...
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards Andy
    member 3143
    Had a few GREAT cars. Do I miss any of them? NO!!!
    However, I am Glad to have the one I have now:
    My wife Blanca NFS
    1967 Ford Fairlane 427 4 speed R code 1 of 72 cars
    1959 356 SunRoof Silver/Green

I would like to congratulate the original poster on bringing a mighty fine looking interior set up to market ,yes it's pricey but where in the hell else are you going to find this kind of set together in this shape?
    I sold a set of '68 S low back Sport seats to a certain Dr who shall remain nameless on this board out of my own '68 S with Elephant hide dash and doors but the seats had
    perforated bolsters but pepita inserts.
    The bolsters had original perforated vinyl that had a far wider set than the more modern looking small perforation ...are these one and the same? Only the good Dr knows..haha
    Cool seats ! Bert
    Oh and '68 seats delivered ROW had no head rests that was a US requirement...