Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door interior re-install help - 70S

Door interior re-install help - 70S

Hello, 5ish years ago I removed the door panels and pockets on both sides of my 70S while I had my throttle bodies redone. Long story short, I've finally got the S back on the road after a series of delays. Now that it is running great, I am turning my attention to the doors. I have all the parts but can't for the life of me remember how they came apart! In particular, the sequence of reassembly and where that bracket between the packers with the arm to keep the pocket from opening too far has me perplexed on how to install. I've searched and read every "door pocket" post here and other places but no one seems to have documented or photographed the sequence for this. I will as I go along and post for others. Any help appreciated.

Secondly, I did purchase the Sierra Madre pockets 5 years ago. I do plan to install them but I want to get the stock parts in place so I re-familiarize myself with how they go together, then I can attack the SM parts. In particular, none of the plastic hinges are installed so I need to figure out how to position and rivet those to the pockets. Again, if anyone has any experience with these that would be appreciated too!

cheers,
    Michael
    1970 S Coupe - Light Ivory - #9110300237
    1983 SC Cabriolet - Moss Green Metallic - #WP0EA091XDS170830

Ed Mayo - Door panel removal
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...el-on-1969-911

Remove the top bolster

Remove the window winder

Remove the flip out door pocket, (pull it part way out so you can undo the bungee)

Remove the arm rest (three allen hd bolts, one sheet metal screw behind flipped down door pocket, and unclip plastic snap from inside door handle)

Remove front bolt from front of forward storage bin

Reach BEHIND door, through now flipped down door pocket, and find 10mm (wrench size nut) holding rear of front bin. The bin and flip down pocket can stay on door with their hinges, (unless you want them out of the way, then just remove the machine screws at the hinges)

Now using your door panel clip tool (or a flat putty knife) pop off the door panel that is held around the perimeter with plastic snap pins.

If the plastic moisture barrier is missing you should make a new one, protects the fiberboard door panel.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks beh911. I had found that thread and it describes everything but that support bracket removal - part 901.555.087.00 (for left, right is 088.00). I can't figure out if it goes above or under the door panel. Perhaps now reading your post, it infers that it goes under the panel since you would not be able to take the door panel off with this support bracket installed.

this support bracket has 3 holes for 6mm screws. It seems that the middle of the 3 hold the bracket in place on the door (behind the door panel?) and the other two are fastened when the the arm rest is attached and the front storage bit is attached.

A question on accessing the bolt on the back edge of the front storage bin. I've replaced my moisture barrier and it is uncut. You need access to this nut through the barrier. How should it be cut to provide this access and still protect the pockets from moisture?

cheers and thanks!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    Thanks beh911. I had found that thread and it describes everything but that support bracket removal - part 901.555.087.00 (for left, right is 088.00). I can't figure out if it goes above or under the door panel. Perhaps now reading your post, it infers that it goes under the panel since you would not be able to take the door panel off with this support bracket installed.

this support bracket has 3 holes for 6mm screws. It seems that the middle of the 3 hold the bracket in place on the door (behind the door panel?) and the other two are fastened when the the arm rest is attached and the front storage bit is attached.

A question on accessing the bolt on the back edge of the front storage bin. I've replaced my moisture barrier and it is uncut. You need access to this nut through the barrier. How should it be cut to provide this access and still protect the pockets from moisture?

cheers and thanks!
    Michael
    The bracket goes under the door panel and it is held with a single bolt until the panel is on and the armrest bolt completely fastens it.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Great, thanks. And I misspoke - the single bolt that holds the bracket on is the furthest to the rear of the car.

Also, I just took a closer look at my original black door vapor barriers. I thought they were cheap black plastic trash bag cut outs but it turns out they are most likely originals or early replacements as they have a welded flap at the bottom of the panel. They are actually in pretty good shape after cleaning up so I think I am going to reinstall them instead of the new thick clear/whitish panels I got from Porsche.

The flap is the important part, it is pushed inside the door opening. That is what keeps the rain water from coming out between the door panel and the door bottom.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for that info! I wasn't sure how it worked but that makes sense. I already replaced the drivers side.

Ok, I've successfully reinstalled the original pockets so thank you! I didn't mess with the shock cord since I'm replacing with the Sierra Madre pockets. I opened the box and went through everything. They are very well done in my opinion. Exactly the same as stock? No but a very good replacement to "up fixen" your car. And it gives me time to R&R the originals if I decide to do that. Although, its really the chrome trim that is bashed on mine, the pocket shape is pretty good and could be easily firmed up. I reflected the insides a few years ago and that still looks good.

I'm taking lots of photos so I'll post a tutorial once I'm done. Everything is ready to go to start fitting the pockets to my doors now - which requires drilling holes for the hinges and riveting them to the pockets.

Since Sierra Madre is no longer offering just the door pocket trim kit are there any other options? Several years ago I paid $200 to Einmalig for their "trim". What a scam, I received 4 strips of plastic door edge protector. I couldn't return the crap. I see that they now no longer offer this stuff, hopefully someone had the time to call them out on it.

My long pocket corners are nice, I really just need the top trim pieces for both sides. Similarly, the small fixed pockets are fine too. Does anyone make the rectangular chromed edge trim? I googled here and the web and only found the SM kit that is NLA.

cheers,
    Michael

I looked into manufacturing the stuff a while back -- would take 3 suppliers to do them identically to the factory parts. Stopped work on it when SMC offered their kit.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute