Thread: Fs: 1971 911t

Fs: 1971 911t

Updated some details and price

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1rxn746f...HMSeMS6Sa?dl=0

VIN - 9111121839
    Engine - 6116836

Asking $69,000 and I will be happy to discuss serious reasonable offers. (Please note - the steering wheel and fog light switch ARE NOT included with the car. The original 400mm wheel is included and has great leather on 80% of it, but the top got sun baked and is trashed down to the rubber).

Hopefully the link above works. I have in excess of 150 photos of the car there.

Well here goes... I have decided to offer my T up for sale. This was my first early 911 and was the car that got me going with the ESR over 10 years ago. I am the fourth owner and purchased it from a fellow that owned it for 23 years in the SoCal area. He purchased it from a high school friend back in 1983 after 10 years of his ownership. I have spoken him also and have the history on the car back to 1973. Unfortunately, I could not find the original owner, but the second owner told me that he was a doctor and had the sell the car after a couple of years due to a new baby on the way. It was purchased new from Bob Smith Porsche Audi at 1751 N. Cahuenga Blvd in Hollywood, CA. The car spent its whole life in SoCal and as a result is lacking any cancerous rust issues.

I acquired the car in what I would consider garage storage condition. It had been relegated to seldom driven status and had some maintenance that had been deferred and needed a thorough cleaning. Once I got the car back to the Chicago area, I started fixing some of the things that needed attention first and continuously progressed from there. It is now a reliable driver car that I would not hesitate to hop into and drive across the country right now. As a matter of fact, it has been driven to CA twice - once for 2008 Treffen and the other time for RRIV - to Bergrennen in WV, and many Midwest long trips. My goal was to develop a car that was reliable mechanically and drove as tight as possible for a 40 year old, 200k mile car.

Here are some of the major things that I have addressed on the car, but it is not all that has been done:

• Replaced the clutch and pulled apart the transmission to check health - all good.
    • Went through all electrics to working condition.
    • Carrera oil fed tensioners and re sealed the engine in 2007.
    • Rebuilt both seats using original vinyl.
    • New fuel lines and pump; and new oil lines.
    • Replaced calipers, rotors, and brake lines with stainless steel.
    • Rebushed front and rear suspension - refinished front suspension components.
    • Tires about 3 years ago.
    • Rear window and quarter window rubber.
    • Replaced two U911 batteries.
    • Replaced shocks and struts with Bilstien HD.
    • Replaced steering rack with one from an SC.
    • Replaced front and rear bearings.
    • Turbo tie rod kit.
    • Bump steer kit.
    • Replaced engine mounts.

The second owner stated that the engine was rebuilt at 95,000 miles, but there is no paperwork supportying that. I have no reason not to believe him since telling me that would serve no purpose to him. I called the shop that did the work and he was not helpful in tracking down paperwork. Too far down the timeline anyway. I asked why he would rebuild the engine then. He stated that he heard that 911 engines needed to be rebuilt at 100,000 miles. Um OK...

VIN is 9111121839 and engine is 6116836. Engine and transmission (I have to assume based on history of car) are original to chassis. I'll post up the transmission number later. I have not done a COA since we know the challenges there. Trust me - I went through this with a member here recently helping them correct all the mistakes. The chassis and engine number are listed in the original dealer owner packet. See photo in the dropbox link. The car has in excess of 200k miles on it, but drives extremely tight with all the work I have performed on the car. I have the original tool kit (replaced a couple of missing tools), jack, and original spare tire from the factory. And for you matching numbers nuts, the Deep Six Fuchs are all date coded the same 12/70 with the spare 11/70. They are original to the car and probably some of the last to come out of the factory and be installed on a 71T. Windows are all tinted Sekurit glass except for the windshield - that has been replaced.

I have included photos of the car shortly after I got it when we removed the engine and transmission. We did a thorough scrub and power wash of the underside and engine compartment. I was pleasantly surprised by what we found under the 40 years of dirt and grime. I hope the pictures convey that the floors, rockers, wheel wells, parcel shelf, and rear seat area are really straight and free of rust. The reddish colored stuff you see is the aged cosmoline that I found under all that CA dirt.

What I am representing here is a really nice car that is mechanically sorted and ready to go as is. I would classify it as a solid 3 on the Hagerty scale - depends on your view I guess. It is not going to win any concours events due to the lovely patina on the 30 year old paint and general wear and tear of 200k miles of use. The car has plenty of stone chips on the front, but the rest of the paint is very presentable. The car was painted back in the late 70's in its original light ivory and the good thing is that all the door jambs, trunk and engine lid jambs are original paint. Nothing to hide bondo or rust as you find on some cars. The interior is in actually pretty good condition, but again nowhere near perfect - remember it is 40+ years old. Dash has the ubiquitous crack unfortunately. I learned to live with (and love) all the cosmetic flaws of the car.

Would I have liked to embark on starting to restore this car? Yes, but you know how slippery that slope is. I preferred to just drive and enjoy the heck out of the car without worry for more stone chips or whether someone leaned on the car while BSing about early Porsches. Hope this goes to a good home. PM me email addresses or phone numbers if you would like to learn more details about the car. Sad to see it go....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 09-29-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Updated details
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Here are a few more pics from the dropbox folder. Sorry the photos are a little under exposed. White is a tough color to photograph. Bright sunlight over exposes the car and I tried to pick a light overcast day.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Well written ad!

Nice looking car.

GLWS
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hold Fast

Wow, Scott . . . lovely

Lotsa really pretty cars on this site --- + some spectacular/over-the-top 'builds' . . . but your kind? . . .

. . . are my very favorite

Some decent mileage, coupla bumps + scuffs . . . but nothing that any Porsche that was actually/joyfully driven wouldn't pick-up . . . after 40-some years of care + fun

I know people like shiny-shiny --- and any old Porsche is an acquired taste, anyway . . .

. . . but I've looked long/hard and only seldom come across sweetness --- like this

Another thread you might consider . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-original-cars

And thank you for advertising your car, here with us . . .

. . . only wish I had the dosh, My Friend

We Can Be Heroes

Update: Just to let everyone know that the car is still for sale. I was moving the car shortly after I placed the ad and the clutch fork pivot pin broke. Grrr. So now the engine has to come out to replace that little part I will probably address a few little things while it is out also. Interested parties are still welcome to contact me about the car.

Yeah Rick, I agree that it is a sweet car that I love to drive. Yeah it has it's bumps and bruises from lots of years of driving, but when I strap in, it just feels like that well worn sneaker that fits so well. My T6 was like that too and loved it for that very reason.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

If any prospective purchaser is interested, I know Scott personally, and can vouch for his credibility and straight forwardness (if that is a word). I am sure that his car is just as advertised, and probably even "better than advertised".

He is extremely competitive, but a gentleman on the track, and a gentleman off the track.

Good luck with the sale, Scott!
    LOOKING FOR:
    ENGINE Nos: 4080191, 911669
    GEARBOX Nos: 9282004, 131410, 115639

1967 Porsche 911 P.A.R.T. Trans Am Rally Kit #308107
    1968 Porsche 911S Sebring GT class winner #11800224
    1971 Porsche 911S Targa Conda Green
    1973 Porsche 2.8 RSR ex-Targa Florio, 2xLeMans #9113600894

Andrew, thanks for the kind words. I sure do appreciate it.

That pic Rick shows highlights my fuel tank gasket failure on the way to Rennsport IV. Filled up the tank in Montrose, CO late in the day and that little seepage caused a nice mess at the pump.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

+2, plus many more guys on here for sure. Scott is a gentleman, honorable to a fault. I would have no hesitation in any dealings with Scott having driven cross country with him back in 2008 and met him on many other early gatherings. People like Scott are the reason I love these old cars - its the people that are important.

Quote Originally Posted by alarson11 View Post
    If any prospective purchaser is interested, I know Scott personally, and can vouch for his credibility and straight forwardness (if that is a word). I am sure that his car is just as advertised, and probably even "better than advertised".

He is extremely competitive, but a gentleman on the track, and a gentleman off the track.

Good luck with the sale, Scott!
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

OK, it has been a few months and I am now getting around to repairing the broken pivot pin. Engine and transmission are out and it was exactly what I thought. I am going to do a few "while I am in there's" just because... Car is still for sale and if anyone has any interest now, ping me and we can talk. Should be driveable fairly soon - trying to get this work done, but have been slammed here. This is a solid and reliable car that someone will really enjoy for many years. I'll take some photos with the engine removed so you can see how clean the chassis really is.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Well guys, just want to report that I do believe that this sweet little car has found its new caretaker. It is a long story of patience by the new prospective owner and he is going to be rewarded with a wonderful car that hopefully he will enjoy for many years to come. Interesting how he found me when the car was not actively advertised. I will introduce him to this community after he has taken official possession. And he wants to drive the car home. To the Northeast. In late November. I'm like'n it. Kinda... salt (he has strict instructions about that)
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T