Thread: Disassembled 911T 69 ?

Disassembled 911T 69 ?

Not sure if I should be posting in this spot or not. My apologies.

A good friend passed recently and has left behind car car he purchased about 1.5 years ago. He was involved with this forum. And had great respect for you here, he felt it was a mature group with high integrity. This project was on the back burnner as he was finishing up 2 other projects.

The car is 69 911T matching numbers, on a dolly and has been stripped of parts and glass, for paint and body, the paint is still on the car, no body work has been started at all. Mostly original dark green paint. 69k on the odo. I can believe that, very straight car, likely kept in the garage. I believe its a 3 owner car counting him. It apparently ran when it was taken apart several years ago. I can not be sure everything is there, but for this purpose lets assume so, I will catalog and photo everything later. The question is what is a fair price range for this vehicle in the stated condition. I should point out, it looks as though it's mostly original paint , I do not see any rust or corrosion beyond what would be surface rust coming through the factory undercoat, everything looks pretty good, so a solid base to work with. When is came apart , he mentioned it was a good driver quality car.

I realize that a restoration from this point would still be very costly, require a project manager. Would the juice be worth the squeeze to finish the car ?. I have done a few concours level cars over the years, the hours add up quick as do the misc things not originally on your punch list. I see 911T prices all over the board. I also see projects in the works that appear to be starting from really awful foundations compared to what this looks like to me. This is no an E, S, Targa, so nothing special for the model line that year. I am not an early P car pro, has a COA, everything jives. But I do have a late model weekend P car in the stable. So I am seeking your your wisdom here, in an unfortunate situation.

The "what's it worth" posts come up every few weeks here with different circumstances (sorry to hear yours), but they mostly follow this pattern.

1. They start out with no pictures, which the regulars translate into lack of effort/"we've got a flipper" on our hands.
    2. Various discussions about what your definition of "it looks like it's all there, no/little rust" versus someone who really knows these cars and the effort, $kill, and time associated with bringing one back.
    3. The ensuing debate of which models/trim levels are really worth saving or freshening up given the market conditions, which offers a sidebar discussion all its own (too hot, too cold, just right, etc).

My thoughts:
    -To point #1, if you would post some photos of what's there or be willing to let someone on the board give you a good idea of what you have first hand, you will get much more accurate data. I track the 69 cars and probably am aware of this car so am curious myself which one you have.
    -The 69T is arguably one of the least valued early 911s (lowest powered), yet restoration costs will be the same or very close to the restoration costs of an S or more desirable models. So a smart buyer will build that into how high they are willing to go to pay for the project
    -The absolute best way for you to determine what something is worth is to hold an auction for it. eBay with a proper ad, full disclosure, photos, etc will get you close.

Hope this helps. Send me a note if you want to discuss offline.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Beh911, Yeah, thinking about it, I can see how you would get a ton of posts like that. Guess my impatience in trying to figure out next steps is clouding my logic, I should have known better. There is just so much to do with cars and parts from the estate. No one is looking to get rich here. Just trying to get a decent range. I will be there this weekend and take some pics. Any special areas I should focus on ?. As mentioned it's on a dolly so easy enough to get under car pics as well.

I am aware it is not the most desirable model in the line. I have been a Mustang and Vette guys for years, our Vintage car actually runs with some 911s in the same race. Have learned to respect them. Have done enough Mustang / Shelby Concours resto's to know a marginal Boss is worth more done right than a 2 bbl 302 Fastback.

However , I did read a old C&C article were Mark Donahue liked the 911T Targa over the E or S in all around driving. Kind of shocking from the guy who said " you know you have enough horsepower when you can make two black lines from the apex of one turn to the apex of the next" Must have said that in later years , well after this test. That in the end did not turn out too good for Mark. In any case, T owners can draw this defense. Maybe it's just good for a Hot Rod/Outlaw/ Race car project, you guys would know best. I do think the body is decent enough that it will save many thousands in those kinds of repairs.

I will PM you, many, many thanks thanks for the offer.

Well first I would like to offer condolences in the loss of a fellow Porsche guy and your freind.
    I think the value is obviously the sum of the parts and condition of the same.
    That being said 69 deep six wheels with hearts found on a 69 are rare and value can be found on this fourm.
    69 also being the first year of the lwb is still a desirable car and can have some rare transitional parts.
    A coupe is always desirable among this crowd and the engine block is the same as all the rest.
    I will agree with the crowd, the more pictures the better the valuation on the numerous inquiries.
    Good luck, maybe keep it for yourself and carry on your buddy's legacy.
    Registry #1777

Thank You Plumber,

I will be taking lots of pics tomorrow. I travel for work Monday - Thursday, but will try to post some up when I return.

It there are an special areas I need to get close ups of, please let me know. Thanks.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    There are any number of Early 911S Registry members not too far from Corona if you want some help.

I live at the other end of the 71 but what expertise I have is in short wheelbase cars. I could name folks who know LWB cars. You stated that the car was disassembled several years ago but your friend bought it 1½ years ago so many folks will be suspicious that it's all there.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 11-07-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

On the plus side original Irish green paint is arguably one of the better colours.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681