Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value advice. 1965 Porsche 911

Value advice. 1965 Porsche 911

Valuation question. We all know the debate between the years. Mine is Mfr 9/65' registerered in states as 66. Listed in multiple books as a 65 production year. That being said I am considering selling it on for other ventures. Numbers matching engine and gearbox. Somewhere in the early mid 70's the second owner was ahead of his time and decided to build an R clone car for himself. He welded wider fender aka R style lips on the fenders. Very nice work, as he was a body shop owner here in Atlanta. He also did a color change from 6606 Irish Green to Black. Interior is black w period correct Recarors, Scroth racing harnesses. 7" wide wheels. Suspension was upgraded as it drives like it it on rails. Adjustable rear Spring plates with red torsion bars, whatever that means! Dash is original and in great shape. I replaced the front pan w proper part and I would challenge anyone to know it was ever changed. I am very picky w my welding and do all my own work. Original floor pan is excellent and has fresh paint. Def does not need replacing. Interior of floors covered w Dynamatt. Currently has original RS RFG Ducktail, which will be replaced with original numbered deck lid. Car currently has old Racemark steering wheel w beautiful patina and period MOMO hub. Car will also come w the original wood and "alumninm" spoked steering wheel. Yes aluminum! Four hole grill vents. Non adjustable front shocks. Power Sunroof. Engine and transmission have clean bill of health from Franz Blam w leak down percentages well in normal range. Currently running freshly built Weber carbs rebuilt by Paul Abbot. Solex carbs and Pierburg pump go with the car if interested. Need help w value and starting point for sale. Not sure where to even list it. I have seen the horror stories on this board so not sure this is the best place. Maybe w a broker here in town? Maybe Amelia a Island in the spring. This car runs excellent right now and can be fully enjoyed as is, or if you want an "easy" restoration, this would be the one. The only major parts I don't have are seats, and they are out there. As for the fender lips, if someone wanted to go back stock I also have two rear qtr panels so that is also available. Engine bay has been detailed with pristine original black shroud and proper decals. Headlights also refurbished. Lots of small detail work has been completed. Door panels original, and nice w minor imperfections, which can be repaired. New brakes. New fuel lines and tank restoration etc. 7" Fuchs w RSR finish. Sport muffler. Car drives super nimble, fast and lots of fun. Let me know what you guys think. I can email more pics. Here is link to my original thread. Sort of a garage find. Bought off estate of long time 2nd owner. No real records as he did all his own work besides Franz Blam back in the day. This car was know by all the local PCA crew and they said former owner loved his car. Unfortunately, he contacted cancer and passed too early. Likely from all the chemicals he worked around all his life. . I have the Kardex and the COA, which both say 1965. Irish green/Black.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/16fwg0t0p...osqAceJSa?dl=0

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...tion-to-302397
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Hagerty is your friend.

Let's call it a #3 because of the modifications. The current level is $170,000. Remember no one has ever seen a #1. They're like unicorns. The mods on this car keep it from being a #2.

Hagerty shows flat values for the past few months. I don't expect any market movement until the Amelia auctions. Even then the market may not move up.

Richard Newton
    Is a Restoration Ever Done?

That number is for a 1965MY 911. This is a 1966MY car. Hagerty valuations are based on model year and the differences in value between 65/65 are significant. That said, I'm not sure how useful they are for a car like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    That number is for a 1965MY 911. This is a 1966MY car. Hagerty valuations are based on model year and the differences in value between 65/65 are significant. That said, I'm not sure how useful they are for a car like this.

+++++++
    Couldn't agree more. I think that #3 valuation may be a buttload of #2.

A knowledgeable buyer looking for a '66 sunroof coupe will want to know what's under that paint. BTW: Assuming the sunroof is on the Kardex?

The offers should be coming in as we speak. You should get a fair idea on real value soon.

Best of luck with the sale.

Hi Mark
    My car was made 90 days before your black beauty so it gets a bump for being a 65 / 65. However if you have matching running gear yours gets a bump. I don't have factory interior because it is pure race and yours might be described as street/track. I paid 80k 12 months ago. K hope that helps in your comparison. I think you would benefit from the body panel adjustments back to stock. If you try to bring it all the way back to stock including paint it might be a zero sum game especially if the market softens right in the middle of the work. Good luck-Dennis

Interesting car, Mark. It's a 66 and I would just start talking about it that way especially as you market it.

If you were to change 2 minor details I think the perceived value would go up.

Add the proper brightwork seal to the windshield and rear window and then add either steelies or properly anodized Fuchs.

Put it on eBay with a proper ad, a reasonable starting bid 50k, a realistic reserve 80k, and hope for something in the low 100s.

The market is not the same as when you bought it.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks guys. I am aware of all the conversation about 65 vs. 66. Porsche COA and Hagerty consider it a 65 so I will leave it at that. I don't think I would bother doing anything to it prior to sale. Windshield trim is easy fix, but might as well do the headliner at that time. Here we go, slippery slope. Wheels will likely get changed bc they will go on my 73S. I guess ebay is a good option, but I am not too big on ebay. Rather just do a private party if possible. I'm still not sure I really want to sell it, but it just does not seem to get driven enough, too many cars. Frank, no sunroof not on Kardex. I assume it was added by PO. I did investigate and it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. All factory stuff is there and looks original down to the drain holes and harness. Though not the slits like very early ones.
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

Quote Originally Posted by John Binion View Post
    +1 on all points.

Canepa has 302273 for sale, listing it as a 1966 model. http://canepa.com/photo-gallery/1966-porsche-9115206/

Good luck with the sale if you decide to go down that route. John
    That is a beautiful car. Anyone know what the asking price is?
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Both great cars !

Market may be a bit flat at the moment, but I feel it is temporary personally, and in about 3-4 months we will know for certain that those directions have taken another positive run upward.

Don't be hasty with decisions unless there is an urgent need, as so many have found when the excuses are given regarding use of a car negating an interest of love or retention.

All things involving 'love' take some time off. Regrets on loss are a lifetime thing ...

BEST wishes on whichever way you go
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Thanks guys. I am aware of all the conversation about 65 vs. 66. Porsche COA and Hagerty consider it a 65 so I will leave it at that.
    Except they don't. We all know the accuracy of the COA's. And Hagerty is clueless. They'd probably list your car as 1865 if that's what you told them.

I'll give you another perspective. As an active buyer for my personal collection (more than 20 Porsche's in the last 3 years), and someone who might be interested in your car, I always take pause when I see a 1966 car listed as 1965. It's no different than seeing a car listed as original miles only to find out Carfax is showing more miles. My immediate reaction is "What else is the seller exaggerating?".

It's a '66 and that's nothing to be ashamed of. List it as a '66 and let real buyers know that you're on the up and up.

Just my $.02. Looks like a nice car.