Thread: Chassis number on lower dash

36 year PCA member

Chassis number on lower dash

I have a 1970 T that may be a 69 production? The number stamped on the lower dash is 1200038. In 69 the chassis numbers were 9 dollars digit and 70 went to 10 digit.
    I am confused with this number as I read it as a 69 912 number?
    Would appreciate input as to what number this is? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No need to be concerned. That is the production number and not a chassis number.
    I can't´t find the thread right now that translates these numbers, but the first 1 should be 911, the third 0 = 1970. Not sure about 2, need to check if not someone else chimes in.
    What is your VIN? If you have an early car, all should be fine. The last four digits are sequential numbers just like in the VIN numbers.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I haven't got my reference material in front of me but I think the 2 is Karmann made body
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

You're fine.
    From a davep post in another thread

Production number: WXYZZZZ
    1. First digit represents whether the body is a replacement or standard production – 0 designates a replacement body, 1 designates a production body. A production body is one used for a regular production car while a replacement body is a basic bare body used to reconstruct a badly damaged car, or in some cases was used to build a race car from scratch.
    2. Second digit is the body type and where it was built – 0 designates a Stuttgart coupe, 1 designates a Stuttgart targa, 2 designates a Karmann coupe, 3 designates a Karmann 914/6. Note that there is no differentiation between 911 and 912, nor for sunroof or any other body variation such as the RS.
    3. Third digit is the model year – in this case the 9 represents 1969, a 0 would represent 1970, a 1 for 1971, etc. In the case of the 914/6 in 1970 only, the year digit is missing on the body shell, but present on the dash (which is a bolt on part) and the body and dash numbers may be slightly different.
    4. The last four digits are a sequential serial #
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

36 year PCA member
    Thank you everyone. BEH911 makes the numbers make sense. Steve