Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat for mfi cold enrichment thermosat

heat for mfi cold enrichment thermosat

Trying to finish up this engine build and seeking guidance on how to get the engine exhaust heat to the mfi pump. As you can see from the photo (excuse the mess as I have had it together and disassembled numerous times trying to figure this stuff out), using a twin plug distributor doesn't leave sufficient room to install the left side air duct . I figured that some of you have probably run into this before and may be able to provide the solution. I had planned to route a long hose from the right side heat exchanger somehow but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks for any suggestions.

Name:  cold emrichment.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  117.1 KB

member #1515
    I'm confused, the correct source IS the heat exchanger. It should have a fitting for the hose, which fastens to the engine surround tin, and another hose mounts from the engine side of the tin to the thermostat. The air duct has nothing to do as a source of heat for the MFI.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Look further back on your left side engine tin for the male fitting to the thermostat hose. Has nothing to do with the fan output close to the distributor.

Edit: you will need to "supply" air to the left side exchanger, which may be your real question.

I'm in same boat as post 2. Confused by your question
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Where did the distributor come from? I'm in the same boat you are in.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

"Edit: you will need to "supply" air to the left side exchanger, which may be your real question"

Precisely.....The distributor is in the way....I can't get fan air pressure to the left side heat exchanger, which would ordinarily be directed to it through, what else, an air duct (from the fan shroud).

member #1515
    You might try Henry at Supertech. Or Damon at series 900. Your going to need a special duct since the factory race cars did not use the thermostat to move the rack. They had manual enrichment.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Unless you drive in cold weather the manual approach is pretty easy to use. Several places sell them.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

Check out the post from our dear departed friend Roland Kunz, about the original factory alternatives to the thermostat

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tml#post369344
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Check out the post from our dear departed friend Roland Kunz, about the original factory alternatives to the thermostat

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tml#post369344
    Not sure I understand the "Wagner" approach, but a manual system sounds practical as I would sure like to retain the race headers and avoid spending $1000 + on heat exchangers. I'll try Supertech/Series 900 before I go further. Thanks guys

The 930's use the piece you need to supply air to the heat exchanger and provide room for the twin plug distributor .