Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally out of the blue...

Totally out of the blue...

I received this email today...looks questionable to me. I don't remember any contact with this individual before....
    Anybody else get this? Spam...flipper...who knows?

"Hello,
    My name is Greg Godbout and I am a recent member of this registry. I am writing to get your thoughts and insights. I own an amazing one owner 1970 911T survivor with documentation that is unheard of. I have a video interview with folks from the local Porsche dealer that serviced the car when new and knew the owner personally. I will never be able to replace this car and have seen similar cars for $150,000.00 at Amelia and L.A. Lit and none has the documentation that mine has.
    In your opinion, should I keep her for a future retirement fund or should I let her go for the first $125,000.00 offer I get, which is what I am thinking. What do you think she is worth considering the soft market? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you have.
    Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you."

Speedo
    registry# 1283

You may be considered one of many experts on this board. I get inquiries as well. I am an expert in some thin slivers of this complex hobby. If I know an answer, I offer it. If I don't, I tend to say to post your question on the discussion board. I don't hear a request for anything other than an opinion. If it gets personal, or you just don't want to answer, just say so and send the person to the discussion board (or just don't respond). It's always your call (as you well know!). If it starts going the wrong way, let Chuck or me know.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks Peter for your quick response.
    I am not an expert at anything other than my own transgressions. Hopefully someone else will weigh in...
    registry# 1283

That's a tricky one.
    No real expertise here other than many years of "dealing with people."
    The e-mail has the delicately balanced amount of enticing information, yet a lack of substantiation.
    ...just enough information to instill Confidence (of course, where the word "CON" comes from).

Off-hand, I would refer him to the forum, maybe with a few tips of where to post, include pics etc.
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

A quick google of the guy shows possibly legit:

Car is on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=201613618990

Here's in interesting note on the bird:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...-ebbbbbay.html

So he's looking for 125 yet the auction is at 56 with two days left...

I would reply to the inquiry. What's the worst that can happen.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post

I would reply to the inquiry. What's the worst that can happen.
    Exactly. Some of my most enjoyable back-n-forths have been with scammers who assume that no one is smarter than they are.

"no contact with this individual before..." Were you scarred by the stranger-danger doctrine while growing up?

Contact has to have a starting point. If I had $10 for every stranger who has PM'd me I'd be a hundredaire.

Which reminds me: I went on my profile page to make some changes and noticed the "last 10 visitors" box. Is it just me or do others get visitors whose user names resemble Eastern European terrorists?

The last 10 visitor(s) to this page were:
    dnorthdenali, eewickersjerm, geninglala, hshibaharrudo, Tdskip, lebelmini, nkleyneila, srmonsyett, tlouboutinankle, yurleyeldo
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 07-08-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    The last 10 visitor(s) to this page were:
    dnorthdenali, eewickersjerm, geninglala, hshibaharrudo, lebelmini, nkleyneila, srmonsyett, tlouboutinankle, yurleyeldo
    C'mon you made those up.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    C'mon you made those up.
    Nope.

But after KJ's perverted posts last weekend who knows who's creepin on me.

Mike Check yours... I just did and have a list similar to Franks - interesting that most "joined" the board in mid to late 2015 and none have made a post or have any other activity showing
    are they real members with an interest in these cars and the things we discuss (even the things Frank and KJ talk about :-) ) or are they "bots" trying to suck out data?

these are mine

Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776