Thread: Knee Protection Strip NLA

Knee Protection Strip NLA

I was looking for the knee protection strip that goes under the glove box as mine has some fine cracks. I was surprised to see that the part is no longer available. This is kind of a common part- like the dash. Does anyone know where they might be available? Or is the solution just to have them re-covered.
    Just wondering.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I've seen some repros. They were awful.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

The question reminds me of my experience with the knee pads. I got my '69 Coupe in '79 and it had the remains of a dealer installed air conditioning system that was inoperable. With some little work I removed what was left of the system including the vents that had replaced the original knee pads. In my travels I stopped by a Porsche dealer in the Five Towns area of Long Island and asked about the availability of replacement pads. The parts man told me he had one set in stock and that they could be mine for $50. I said "no" thinking that was too much and drove off believing I could probably get them for less at a breaker's yard or at another dealer. After I got about a block away I realized the time and effort that would be involve in finding another set and the condition problems that might beset any pre-owned parts. I went immediately back to the parts counter, handed over my money and walked out with a NOS set of pads which I installed upon returning home. They look great to this day. Best $50 I ever spent.

The 69-73 parts are NLA and hen's teeth. The 74+ parts will fit and are readily available used on ebay, etc. They leave a very small gap where they meet the dash but they've been the only knee pads available for decades now and many people have been using them for a long time with few complaints.

Good insights from all of you. That is what I afraid of, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something/ I won't worry about it for now.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Here's a picture I posted a while back showing the differences...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post817076
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624