Thread: FS: 1969 Porsche 912 - Barn Find

FS: 1969 Porsche 912 - Barn Find

CAR HAS BEEN SOLD.

I bought this from a friend who bought it 20 years ago to restore. He didn't get very far. He bought it from a fellow he knew who also had it for many years. Unfortunately, the car was vandalized and broken into by using a crowbar to pry open the drivers door, tearing out the striker from the door post. They also broke the glass aftermarket sunroof panel and the back window. His friend put a tarp over the car, but he didn't notice that it was leaking and it soaked water into the rear parcel shelf which rusted through in a couple places. The water also accumulated in the rear part of the pan causing rust holes. Other than that it just has the usual rocker rust, a little in the the doors and some in the rear bottom of the right front fender. I looked it over and couldn't find any signs of past accident damage.

Silver now, but originally a desirable Polo Red car.

It appears to be matching number with the engine and transaxle being in the right range to match the VIN.

My friend said the engine ran when he parked it in his barn. I put a wrench on it - it turns over nicely and I could feel each cylinder making compression. I would have started it, but my friend could not locate the key. The engine still has the correct Solex carbs and even still has the 1969 only decel valve mounted on the top of the shroud. It has the 902/16 optional 5 speed transaxle (the one with the desirable gear and drive ratios). I shifted it through all of the gears and it felt ok. My friend said the transaxle was fine last time he drove it.

Obviously, someone "updated" this car by putting fiberglass copies of the later bumpers front and rear. Luckily they did not put fender flares on at the same time.

This is a project and includes what is shown in the pictures plus a section of another 912's roof panel to replace the aftermarket sunroof and a used striker mount area to replace the one that was ripped out when it was broken into.

Many more pictures available on request.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 08-23-2017 at 06:13 PM.

A couple more pictures:

A few people have asked to see these areas:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vin = 129021460
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624